• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediver - accident of birth?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
I was out diving with four mates yesterday. Somehow we got onto the subject of how we were born.

I was born by emergency C Section with loads of complications and deprived of oxygen at birth to the extent that they told my parents I would be brain damaged (and until I got my Masters I think my folks still believed that!)

3 of the other divers were ALL born with their umbilical cord around their neck - depriving them of oxygen.

The fourth did not know and rushed off to ask his mother...

is this a recurring theme amongst freedivers? have we discovered the missing link???

a wacky thought for christmas week...

Sam

Reactions: DeepThought
I was completely blue when I was born, dunno the exact details tho.

A little correction, I was not born with the umbilical cord around my neck, but I came out so fast that I was blue.. :) I was not born too early or anything, I just came out real fast..

Last edited:
umbilical cord round neck too!!!
Was told I was beyond the blue, but black!!!!!:(

maybe something in this?

Happy christmas all

I asked my mom and she just told me that I'm adopted! :waterwork

Nah, she said it was a normal birth. :)

Maybe this thread should be a poll (yes/no/I don't know)?

yep' matter fact , i was in trouble, i did'nt want go out ( was warm inside...)
after doct finally figure out i was a lazy boy , i decide c section, by the time i strangle my self and got tongue flap in, so.. was blue light green ( what mommy saw with c section drugs...) don't breathe for a minute or two ( not bad for first time , but did'nt much improve with 26 years.. i'm defenetly lazy boy) , it could be a link , as i beleive we meet people because there always a cause and effect... good or bad?

I too had the cord around the neck when born. Not sure about the color though, haven't heard the stories in decades. Wonder if I had a samba?

I think I've heard from my mom that I was too born with the cord arround my neck, maybe you're on to something! Why not make a poll about it?

Love, peace and water!

Carlos.

//edit:

I've checked with my mother, and apparently I was wrong. :rcard It was a normal birth :wave

But do contiou the search!

Love peace and water!

Carlos.

Last edited:
Thank you, guys & gals,

you make me feel far less embarassed about the idiocy I posted a few days back.

Very interesting, I also was born with the C section, and had to spend few days in the baby chamber afterwards. Lack of oxygen at the birth seems to be the case for the majority of freedivers :cool:

Jersey Jim said:
I too had the cord around the neck when born. Not sure about the color though, haven't heard the stories in decades. Wonder if I had a samba?

OMG LOLZ

rofl

I didnt have any complications at birth but when i was about 2 i was walking along the beach with my parents and thought id do some apnea walking . It took them a while to work out i was gone . They said id ventured out into about 6foot of water :head

Strangely enough, I was born with the cord wrapped around my mom's neck... go figure. ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT