• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediver dies whilst night diving in Sydney

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Manny_OCF

Nov 2, 2017
So this got some attention in the news today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-29/free-diver-pulled-from-the-water-in-botany-bay/9371988

Freediver dies whilst doing a freedive. The place he did it at is a bay called Brighton-Le-Sands, its south of Sydney. Its generally a poor vis place (somewhat polluted), and is a terrible place to freedive during the day because it is a popular area for jetski enthusiasts (who could not care less about divers/dive flags etc).

Apparently he got caught in the shark net and never surfaced.

What are your thoughts about night freediving? Anything that could have prevented this?

Reactions: Davis
So this got some attention in the news today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-29/free-diver-pulled-from-the-water-in-botany-bay/9371988

Freediver dies whilst doing a freedive. The place he did it at is a bay called Brighton-Le-Sands, its south of Sydney. Its generally a poor vis place (somewhat polluted), and is a terrible place to freedive during the day because it is a popular area for jetski enthusiasts (who could not care less about divers/dive flags etc).

Apparently he got caught in the shark net and never surfaced.

What are your thoughts about night freediving? Anything that could have prevented this?

I dive in Sydney as well, sad to hear!

I'm not one for night diving in the harbour. Note that vis can be good at Brighton-Le-Sands (~15-20m), but on that day it wasn't. It's also a messy place when the tides are going, easy to drift. I also don't like diving near the nets with any gear on (even with my knife).

Pity his buddy didn't find him either, poor vis due to location and time of day.

I don't think night freediving is advisable unless your lights are good enough to see eachother clearly and never, ever, lose track of the diver.

I dive in Sydney as well, sad to hear!

I'm not one for night diving in the harbour. Note that vis can be good at Brighton-Le-Sands (~15-20m), but on that day it wasn't. It's also a messy place when the tides are going, easy to drift. I also don't like diving near the nets with any gear on (even with my knife).

Pity his buddy didn't find him either, poor vis due to location and time of day.

I don't think night freediving is advisable unless your lights are good enough to see eachother clearly and never, ever, lose track of the diver.
Yeah, and even if your buddy can see you their hands are on their dive torches.

I didn't know Brighton-Le Sands had good vis. I avoid that place like a plague because of all the jetski users there.

What's your experience diving there?

Like anything we do it's requires a fair amount of experience and skill. The location is extremely important, as is your knowledge of it. I think it's a fairly safe practice if you practice it safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freediving during night is certainly particular...The place where I am is free of nets so there is practically no risk to get entangled. The only thing I'm afraid of that there is no chance to be seen by traffic on the sea..

Freediving during night is certainly particular...The place where I am is free of nets so there is practically no risk to get entangled. The only thing I'm afraid of that there is no chance to be seen by traffic on the sea..
night dive dive flag with light or green stick

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT