• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedivers at the Helldivers Rodeo

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rigdvr

Not Available in Stores
May 28, 2002
This year there were several freedivers hunting in the rodeo. On my boat was GR Tarr, Sasa Bratic and Andy York. My buddies from the Big Easy, Marcel Garsaud, Kristen Shambauer, and Bill Crawford joined us in Port Eads.

The first day we went to the blue and saw dilphin, wahoo yellowfin tuna, blacfin tuna and a 1000#+ bluefin, as well as a nice blue marlin. Only a blackfin played by our rules and joined us for a boat ride.

Day 2 we hunted our way back to Mississippi starting at deep rigs(300-400') and working our way shallow. We shot huge mangrove(12#), large red snapper(to 24#), aj's(30-35#), cobia, tarpon, and so on.

3 potential world records were taken including Anderson's blackfin, Buill C huge 23#triple tail, and a monster mango taken by GR Tarr.

I am back to the grind of a charter captain and will post pics when I get more time.

Rig,
Baring something incredibly bad happening, I will see you there on Sunday next year for the weigh in. After carefully reading the rules, I think we will spear here in South Texas starting early Thursday morning and spear through Saturday and drive most of the night to be there before 2:00 PM on Sunday. It will be a hard 5 days, but it’s better than pulling the boat to LA and diving in unfamiliar waters.

Maybe we can get someone to drive us while we sleep! We got 12 months to work out the details!

Post those pictures. :D Seems like this is turning into a can't miss tournament. I can’t wait!
don

just remember, if there's not a rule change that you can not use a float in the skindiving category but you can use a reel. Floats are allowed in the bluewater though.

Anderson did some freediving? Montero had told me he had an issue with his sinuses or something that would regulate him to dry land. Hope he's ok.

That an interesting rule. I would think they would want to encourage people to use float lines, because it is safer. It’s actually an advantage not using a float for getting into and through the rig for the species that like to stay inside of the supports. A task that is made more difficult, but safer, with a float. Maybe they are concerned about congestion at popular rigs.

I will use a reel, and use my inflatable float for a safety backup. If I have to use the inflatable float to keep from losing my gear, I will not enter the fish in the tournament.
don

congestion isnt the problem. They difference between freediving and skindiving in their mind is. This goes back to their roots of skin diving inthe lake for sheephead some 40 yrs ago. I dont forsee the rule changing anytime soon, were just lucky they added a bluewater division.

Marcel Garsaud shot a 79# cobia at the rodeo freediving withhis rob allen reel gun. It isny as bad as you think once you are comfortable diving the rigs in general.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT