• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedivers in central Texas?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dallasdiver

Feb 3, 2004
I have posted a similar message last year, but only got one response from Oklahoma. I live in Dallas, but would be willing to drive a couple of hours for a occasional dive session. Ken :wave

Hey, I think you might be reading the only other freediver (though beginner) in Dallas, let alone the state using Deeperblue.net, heh-heh.

I've been limited to springs, lakes and murky coastal waters (not often, due to limited budget).

I just got my new pair of Sporasub Dassaults and am ready to try them out. I don't have a wetsuit however, and need to get back in shape and back in the swing of my breath-holding, since I get fat and short winded during the cold parts of the year.

Where do you go to dive? I hear there's a nice quarry over by Terrell.

OH! by the way. I talked to someone at Emerald Sea Divers over on Arapaho and Central Expressway, that Terry Maas will be giving a small "clinic" course at the SMU highdiving pool (for it's depth, apparantly).

Emerald Sea Divers is where I ordered my fins. Do you know of any other good shops to get freediving equipment?

Sorry for replying with questions, I'm just suprised I haven't seen you around the forum.

Hey Sinkweight!!!!
Nice to hear that there is another freediver here in the metroplex! Done a little freediving in the Carib while on vacation, but mostly Texas lakes and quarries.
Speaking of Terrell, I was just there this past Saturday. It had been several months since I had been in the water, and I really had the dive fever. The quarry is called Clear Springs Scuba Park and they are on the web. The have a detailed map and photos with current temp and vis. It says max depth of 62', but the deepest I have found is 55'. Its $20. for the day or you can buy a yearly pass. The water is very cold right now, temp is 53 degrees at surface and 51 at the bottom. I was in the water for an hour and half with a five mil suit with hood and gloves before I got cold.

They have a sunken airplane and other items to swim through. The water was so cold, that when I first dove in without adjusting my hood, I got a instant freeze headache. Even in the summer when the surface temp is in the 80+ degree range, the thermocline from the spring feed quarry is very cold at 40 feet. A thin skin will get you by for that short dive time at the bottom.

I have the basic gear, wetsuit and a pair of Gara 3000 fins and a low volume mask. I hoping to get a Suunto D3 dive computer in the future.

I would be extremly interested in a clinic with Terry Maas!!! Can you email me the details? I have always wanted to take a freedive course.

I got my first freedive fins from Atlantis Scuba in Grapevine, Tx. from a fellow freediver who owns the shop. He is really good, but rarely freedives anymore due to the fact he is involved with his business and scuba diving customers. Great guy named Kevin Harmon and great dive shop. I been on several of his scuba trips to the BVI's

If you want to get together for a dive session at a quarry or lake when it warms up or want to get together for a pool training session some time, just let me know? Ken

Reactions: sinkweight
I'll definitely have to wait for warmer weather at the springs. The good thing is that Barton Springs at Zilker Park in Austin always stays a brisk 67-69 degrees top to bottom, due to its constant bottom-fed supply. It's getting out that's the chilly part this time of year. Too bad it's 2 1/2 hours away.

As for the Terry Maas deal, you'll have to call Emerald Sea Divers on Arapaho and Central Expressway for the details. He said it was going to be early this spring. I'm doin my best to save up for a suit, not to mention lose the gut.

Here is his contact info:

Mike Dunst (Grand Poo-Bah)

Emerald Sea Divers
1002 North Central Expressway
Suite 501
972-669-3483 (DIVE)
fax. 972 669-0460
www.emeraldseadivers.com

tell me if you find anything else about it, as I will you.
If you have any other questions, send a message, I think its on my profile.

Otherwise, I'll see you around the forum!:wave

Nice to know there's someone else around here.

Hello,

Well I guess we have three now. I just found this thread, even though it's old, hopefully one of you will see it.
I've been out to Clear Springs a few times for both freediving and scuba. It's easy to find scuba buddies but I haven't found anyone interested in freediving ( you just get funny looks :)
Let me know if anyone wants to do some diving in the area. My schedule is fairly tight this year, but I'll do my best to meet other interested people. I live in Keller (NW Fort Worth)

Thanks,
Frank

Hey Frank
It good to have a third diver in the area!!!:D I actually live in Hurst and work at the DFW airport, but no one knows where Hurst is, except Texans. We should all hook up for a freedive session at Clear Springs or even plan a trip down to Lake Travis in Austin. They have a perfect setup for depth training with a floating platform near the dam with a heavy chain underneath to pull yourself down to 80+ feet. Thats where I stopped at with no sign of the bottom. It only a 50 yard swim from shore. There are also several sunken boats and airplanes at different depths.

Ken

Lake Austin sounds really nice! I got to warn you...I've never had a diving buddy before, so a group of three is definitely a better idea. Nice to know you're in the area, Frank. Dallas, looks like we've got quite an accumulation of Texans going!

I'm going to be out at Clear Springs on Monday (Memorial Day) . I'll probably get there early to do some freediving before my scuba buddies show up. Then I'll switch sides :) The only problem is that you can't switch back to freediving after scuba in the same day. At least that's what I heard.

Later,
Frank

Perhaps the body is too adapted for abundant gas exchange?

I'm meeting my cousins and dear friends down in Austin this weekend. I hope to sneak away to the scuba park in Lake Travis. Does anybody know which side of the lake it's located?

Hey Frank
Did you make to Clear Springs on Monday? I was out there, but not until 1:30pm.

hey yall,
theres one more in dallas area trying to get into freediving, kinda cool to see them start to emerge. i am just starting out a bit, looking for ways to start training. cant do much this summer, doing an internship with DAN in NC, but might be interested if yall are getting out to the lakes for freediving this aug and later. Im in richardson, real close to Emerald Sea as yall put in an earlier post. look forward to possibly getting together sometime for some freediving.

Hey Guy's,
Got another freediver or two in the mix, that is, if you guy's are thinking of coming down to lake Travis. Be sure to drop everyone a PM both in this thread and the "New freediver in Austin" thread. I am sure that Either Melissa or I would be up for a dive. Keep me posted if you are coming in Friday, I may be able to swing that. I live just North of Austin. Till Later guy's...

~James

P.S. There is a better chance of contacting me if you send a PM to me because it sends me an e-mail, which I check it bi-daily.

All in favor of a Texas Freediving Militia? Actually I don't have my federal arms license...so how about a freediving club?

Actually, I think that there is a freediving club in Corpus, they just don't browse the DB forums. I'm sure there are more around the coastal city's.

I think that Mansfield Dam park would be a better location for freediving. It has a platform that could come in handy, and an underwater dive park marked off with ropes. Supposed to have some sunken ships and other interesting things to see. Water is supposed to be clear this time of year too. Especially, before the weekend crowd stirs everything up.

From what I heard Bob Wentz park is nice for SCUBA (on site air fills, showers, etc.) because of its gradual sloping bottom, but not so nice for Freediving. At Mansfield park it is supposed to get really deep really fast, with dive platforms to boot. I think that Mansfield park is a little cheaper too.

Just some stuff I found out while searching last night. Keep me updated. Till Later...

~James

picksmither said:
Actually, I think that there is a freediving club in Corpus, they just don't browse the DB forums.
Look for Donmoore on these forums, I think he is your man on corpus.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT