• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedivers in central Texas?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
She was talking about a full exhale for the dive to decrease bouyancy so I could sit at the bottom without holding on to rocks.
We were in fairly shallow water (25ft). My wieghts (5lbs) was plenty to get me down, just not enough to hold me there long without holding on to something. .
Kicked myself for not bringing the 20 lbs of scuba lead.
Funny thing was she was like "Don't worry, nothing will happen to you" when she egged me on.
Did three of these an got what I needed.
Regardless, it was an interesting notion- exhale and dive.
Isn't that what mermaids told sailors? - lol

Mat,
Some how I missed your question earlier. Why Tanya had you exhale was to decrease your buoyancy with still plenty of O2 left to avoid black out. Actually exhale diving is common as both a training tool to induce the dive reflex, practice of deep equalization in a swimming pool, and as way to dive. Sebastian Murat has pioneered this technique in research, world record depths, training, and instruction and the db community is privileged to have his input on this forum.

We had a scientist and Sebastian arguing and then conversing on the forum a year or two and I think the O2 in the blood and tissue of a person on a full breath of air accounted for something like 54% of a person’s O2 when a person hold's their breath. Therefore you should have no problem holding your breath and diving to 25 feet on just the O2 in your blood and tissue. Also the problem of lungs expanding toward the surface on an ascent and drawing O2 out of the blood is reduced.

There are also several O2 conservation adaptations that take place when a person is submersed in water and descends with increase water pressure. These adaptations take place quicker with less air in the lungs. which can increase a person’s time and depth under the water to much more than 54% of their ability with a full breath.

Actually the weight one needs in freediving is as much related to the size of their lungs and the amount they fill them as it is to their fat percent. People marvel at how little weight I use, but in reality it’s probably because of my small lungs more than my fat percent, which isn’t that low.
don

Last edited:
Speaking of Texas Freedivers, I took Stephans advice and dropped an email to Tanya Streeter and she replied yesterday. She is already in France and training for the world championships. It's pretty cool that she responds to personal emails. She also forwarded managers and her husbands email address if I needed anymore info on what is going on with the world championships. Cool :cool:

donmoore said:
Mat,
Some how I missed your question earlier. Why Tanya had you exhale was to decrease your buoyancy with still plenty of O2 left to avoid black out. Actually exhale diving is common as both a training tool to induce the dive reflex, practice of deep equalization in a swimming pool, and as way to dive. Sebastian Murat has pioneered this technique in research, world record depths, training, and instruction and the db community is privileged to have his input on this forum.

We had a scientist and Sebastian arguing and then conversing on the forum a year or two and I think the O2 in the blood and tissue of a person on a full breath of air accounted for something like 54% of a person’s O2 when a person hold's their breath. Therefore you should have no problem holding your breath and diving to 25 feet on just the O2 in your blood and tissue. Also the problem of lungs expanding toward the surface on an ascent and drawing O2 out of the blood is reduced.

There are also several O2 conservation adaptations that take place when a person is submersed in water and descends with increase water pressure. These adaptations take place quicker with less air in the lungs. which can increase a person’s time and depth under the water to much more than 54% of their ability with a full breath.

Actually the weight one needs in freediving is as much related to the size of their lungs and the amount they fill them as it is to their fat percent. People marvel at how little weight I use, but in reality it’s probably because of my small lungs more than my fat percent, which isn’t that low.
don

Thanks for the explaination. I kinda knew that that all would be ok- but being new to this, when the contraction came on in the first 10 seconds, it kind of made me go whoa.
by the way- one of my collegues in Michigan sent me a clip of the story- I will send it down with a cd soon
best,
mat

Hello Texas! Amarillo here, I was looking in at you guys. I am missing a big peice fo the puzzle. I would love some information about the cost or what I could do to try and get in with you guys. I am a baby to the sport and am just having fun right now. My maximum depth so far was 40 ft. I got to the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa New Mexico. It is 81 ft deep and 100% visibility. completely clear. You can see the bottom from the surface. the only problem is that it is only 52 degrees it is icy cold. But that didn't stop the divers all over the rest of the world. Some one "gimme a hollar" Thanks again,
Marci

Mermaid 24

Hey Marci :wave

You do a little adult baby sitting ehh? That must be interesting! Nice to know there is another Texan on Deeperblue. Were getting quite a following going here. The distance thing is kind of a pain, I just drove down from Dallas to Portland, TX. to go spearing with Don Moore. What a great trip and a cool guy, the first time I have been spear fishing in 15 years.

I tried to set up a freedive at Vahalla missle silo near Amarillo which is 135' deep, but the owner wanted me to have a insurance policy in place before he would allow it. The place in New Mexico sounds really good. I have 5 mil suit for cold water. Maybe I could try to make it up there sometime.

Don Moore has a South Texas Free diving association, you don't have to live in south Texas to join. I recently dove with some of his association members in Austin at lake Travis. Great group of people.

Ken

Hey Marci,
Nice to hear from another Texan! You've got a great group of divers here. Only problem is, Texas is like it's own country (by which I mean FREAKING HUGE). So getting together with other divers can sometimes be a problem. But pretty much anywhere you dive in this great state you can find someone to dive with, at least on occasion. :)

I strongly suggest getting in contact with Donmoore. He has contacts with divers that are not on the Deeperblue forums (He gave me some info for a guy right here in San Antonio that I didn't know about). Also, he is just down right a great guy :cool:. I have been sending PM's back and forth getting advice on my first wetsuit. He has been extremely helpful and patient. I really can't say enough good things about the guy. I look forward to getting down to the coast to dive with him.

As always, feel free to ask questions, freedivers are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. (I'm a bit of a baby to the sport too, so I understand where you are coming from. :cool: ) Till Later...

~James

:wave James and Ken, Thank you for the nice words.

Marci, I looked up Amarillo on mapquest. You are way out there! 751 miles and 12 hours from Portland, TX, and 528 miles and 8 hours 35 minutes from Austin!

Everything is close by airplane though. For all you guys and any other freedivers, the next schedule dates for going offshore are Saturday September 24 and/or October 8th depending on the weather. Rumor has it that Mat from AP may arrange for Tanya and Paul Streeter to come as well. Ken, Mat is from Dallas, so maybe you could talk your wife into letting you go again and come down with him? Just an idea!

It’s a large boat and we never have run out of room. We have a few folding deck chairs that can go in the stern where the ride is the nicest and fortunately freedivers don’t have much equipment. A local guy called me last week and asked if I would take him and a few of his scuba friends out. It was so cool to say, sorry, I’m filled with freedivers! Freedivers are about 100 times cooler to go offshore with than scuba divers or pole fishermen!
don

Last edited:
Reactions: Aquagenic
You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for all your help. I hope you guys get to use that missle silo. I would be much more able to come out with ya'll because it is closer. So how deep do you guys usually go when you dive? And where do you go most often currently? I have a vacation comming up in December. That will be the only time I can break away to meet up with you all. I would so dearly love it if any of you came out with me to the "Blue Hole". I hope to meet you all soon. As soon as I get into this free diving more, I will be able to go places and do lots more with you all.

Don and all Texans

I just upload the web this morning so at least you will have some information until I finished the big one.
Take a look at www.freediveforlife.com or www.freedive4life.com
There is a list of the brands that we sell, with links to the main sites as well the contact information, including Texas!!!!

When will we start to train for those nationals in Fort Lauderdale???

Do you have any plans for this weekend?
We will have one the best spearos in town visiting us for 4 days, but I do not know if Toby or you have plans to go out.

Cheers

Ivan

ivan@freediveforlife.com
www.freediveforlife.com

Ivan,
I would have like to dive with the person you mentioned, but my boat isn’t ready for this weekend. Welds on the motor extensions cracked. I already had them rewelded, but I’m in the process of adding support so it won’t happen again. I will have it done this weekend. Other than that the boat is running the best it ever has.

The next weekend the 24th and October 8th is the plan, but I heard the TV weatherman say last night that a tropical wave is in the Caribbean and he expects it to enter the Gulf by midweek next week. If that turns true, it may mess up the 24th.

The Nationals for 2006 depends on me making up some by-laws, sending them out to the members for input, and then sending the final ones to the USOA with their application which includes member names and a $15 due for each member. We need 12 members from our club to join the USOA. One rule of the USOA is that their dues are paid from the club’s dues, so we will fund the $15 from the $25 club dues. For a second family member the USOA charge was less. I believe $5 so we might use a few wives and children, which are included in STFA $25 annual fee, to make the 12.

Our web site says dues are due in November, but I think we will change it so those who joined this summer or fall won’t have to pay again in a few months.

I already asked the question if a person with U.S. Visa and citizenship from another country can join the USOA and participate at the Nationals and the answer was yes. So I need your application and dues soon to send it in. If the weather is bad next weekend, that maybe the weekend I’m able to do it.

My understanding is we can send as many 3-person teams as we want, so it will probably be more up to who wants to go and can afford it than anything else. Personally I want to go for the experience, but I’m not going to take 3 weeks off work to go scout and be competitive. If Toby, Guy. Marco or anyone else you dive with in Houston want to go they can join the STFA too. The membership app is on the web page.

Nice Web site! Did Ceasar call about fins?
don

Don,

I will send you my application and dues ASAP. Let me ask this guys here if some of them are interested in join the club too. We will find 12 guys for sure do not worry about that.

If I can help you with something in the STFA just tell me. Regarding the nationals is for the experience like you said. It going to be impossible to compete in Florida without a good time of previous scouting. There are people there that go out 3 and 4 times a week.

Thanks for the lead; Cesar sent me an email with the equipment that he is looking.

Cheers

Ivan

ivan@freediveforlife.com
www.freediveforlife.com

Here are the pictures

Attachments

• BHMarci3.jpg
    BHMarci3.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 161
  • BHMarci4.jpg
    BHMarci4.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 166
Marci,
Nice pictures! :wave Are the pictures at the Blue Hole you were talking about? You must have some good cold-water tolerance if you wear a shorty in 51-degree water!

Our water in the Gulf dropped from 90-degrees to 84 from Katrina and other weather in the last three weeks. It’s almost getting to a pleasurable temp now!:D
don

I want to get the full suit but I am stuck for cash right now. I have lots more pictures of the hole.

Wow, the Blue Hole looks great, thanks for posting the pictures Mermaid! I for one would love to see some more pictures if you have them.

No joke, that is some serious cold tolerance to wear a shorty in 51 degree water. I can't handle 68 degree water in a shorty. I just ordered my first full suit from Diveskin.net (custom made 3mm for $199.00 shipped, what a deal) and I was looking for some good places to try it out. The Blue Hole might just be an option.

Till Later...

~James

Wowee! Look at that friggin' WATER!

Great pictures, Mar-C. Now you've got me wantin' to head up there for a nice soak. I'm a polar bear myself. My body is still rejecting my wetsuit, so it might be a back-up measure.

Are you going to start your own gallery? You should post more pictures of "Blue Hole". That blue, blue water's got me jones'in for a splash.

Hey Just wondering,
Is anyone up for Austin diving this Saturday? (10/22/05) I was thinking Lake Travis, Barton Springs, or both. That is if the weather restricts Don from going out. Otherwise I'll definitely be going with him into the gulf.

Either way, is anyone interested or know anyone who might be?

~James

Hello all,

I just now caught up on the thread. I guess if you don't go back to the forum, it stops emailing on subsequent entries. anyway . . .

I've been building a new house this year and it's taken up all my time for hobbies, like freediving. I did take off one day this summer to do diving. I called in a vacation day and spent some quality time with the fishes at Clear Springs.

I'll be done with the house in January, so hopefully I can get back into the fun things in life.

-Frank

Alright Texans
Don Moore and myself and planning to meet on Saturday Oct 29th at 12:30 at the Mansfield Dam park in Austin. I have just completed my counter balance system and am planning to test it out this weekend. Anybody want to join us? I am planning to drive down from Dallas Saturday morning and return to back the same afternoon if anybody wants to catch a ride down with me. Cell 214-876-8359

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT