• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving ability and short people

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Doubtful. Other things are so much more important than average lung volume that it would be hard to determine.

I dive at about 60 percent of full lung. For me, that give substantially longer comfortable bottom times.
has anyone done a study? are there any short people here that can quote their times? could be interesting.
hm, interesting about the 60% I always thought less is shorter, and why people who want the longest do packing?

There is a difference between comfortable dives and max dives, which I'm not interested in . The tiny amount of testing I've done suggests that lower lung volume for me might result in less max hold time. You can't compare that to short vs tall people because of the huge differences in c02 tolerance, chest diameter, training associated increases in ventilation volume, and a ton of other factors. For example, a diving buddy of mine is about 6 inches shorter and almost certainly has smaller lungs and ventilatory capacity. He can do much much longer dives than I can, I think because his co2 tolerance is very high.

I think size may play a role in absolute max performance.. most of the current or recent world record holders are quite tall in all disciplines..

But..

I agree with Conor on the comfortable Vs max dive.. I recently did a session where I did some slow 30m FIM dives on 1/2 lungs.. the result was 2:00 dives without any urge to breath..

At the end of the session I did a normal lung volume dive (inhale + 10 packs.. around 4L more air).. my dive time went up to 2:45 but with urge to breath..

If I based on comfort, nearly double the air gained me only 5-10s of comfort time..

Of course.. when I'm in proper shape ready to peak my max 1/2 lung time would be somewhere in the 2:45 range, and full inhale is up in the 3:30-4:00 if I push it, on slow 30m dives..

in short, height is probably a very insignificant factor until you're trying to set a world record..

I think size may play a role in absolute max performance.. most of the current or recent world record holders are quite tall in all disciplines..

But..

I agree with Conor on the comfortable Vs max dive.. I recently did a session where I did some slow 30m FIM dives on 1/2 lungs.. the result was 2:00 dives without any urge to breath..

At the end of the session I did a normal lung volume dive (inhale + 10 packs.. around 4L more air).. my dive time went up to 2:45 but with urge to breath..

If I based on comfort, nearly double the air gained me only 5-10s of comfort time..

Of course.. when I'm in proper shape ready to peak my max 1/2 lung time would be somewhere in the 2:45 range, and full inhale is up in the 3:30-4:00 if I push it, on slow 30m dives..

in short, height is probably a very insignificant factor until you're trying to set a world record..
Most of the current holders. I think Variable weight record holder is on the short side Homar Leuci also. Trubridge is normal height. Colak, Malina, Molchanov I guess are below 1 90m. Correct me if I am wrong. I dont think super tall like 1 90 + offer much advantage

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT