• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving - aerobic or anaerobic?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
....I guess the anaerobic fast twitch fibers will be more useful towards the end of the dive.
... I think my muscles are mostly aerobic slow twitch and if this really is a disadvantage in freediving, how do I change?..

i dont know if its just me, but most of what was said in previous thread was the opposite of what you understood
1st, the fast switch muscles are for maximal and explosive bursts of energy, they get depleted fast
tho you can use them to start a deep dive by doing a good kick to propel yourself down, or a good kick on the walls in a pool dynamic
a good duck dive and subsequent strong kicks will propel you very fast to the neutral buoyancy depth, and you wont need much more kicks to sink
but on ascent you will be using slow aerobic fires or and anaerobic lactic ones
tho lactic producing fibres arnt as efficient as aerobic slow ones, but they are useful to buffer your dynamic dives
you want to reduce O2 usage as much as possible, so using lactic acid as energy buffer is a good strategy
but you may also hit another wall if they make your blood too acid on top of your CO2
and for repeated dives, relying on lactic acid producing fibers isnt a good strategy for endurance, like for spearfishing
but this all depends on how many times you dive and what kind of spearfishing you're doing
collecting molusques and crabs isnt the same as waiting for big games and then wrestling with them, the later relies on anaerobic efforts more

Last edited:
I remember watching the world record on DYN when Goran beated Alexey
i noticed Alexey had good and efficient diving strokes, and seem to glide effortlessly in water, but he was maximizing aerobic fibres from what i noticed
while Goran's swimming style was less elegant and relied on stronger kicks, and thus more on Type II
yet Goran won

Oh look, a resurrected thread, back from the dead! ☠️

I wonder if we're not over-studying this. I mean the best in freediving are the wales, seals and turtles. None of them does tables or uses a stopwatch. They just dive because that's what they do.

Of course we're not marine-mammals, but we share quite some genetics. So I wonder, what would be more effective: three days a week training with tables, dynamics, statics, etc., or simply holding your breath as much as possible, preferably in the water, but possibly out of the water as well, no pushing it, stopping as it starts to feel uncomfortable, in order not to get exhausted from it.

As a comparison, but in a totally different sport: in the South of the Netherlands where I lived we see a lot of amateur sports cyclists every summer. I'm not a sport cyclist, but so far -no one- managed to out-race me. My 'training' was that I cycled to work and the climbing gym every day, about 50km daily. No €5000 carbon bike, no fake-sponsor team-kit. Nothing aero, in fact I raced to work and back in my work clothes and heavy safety boots.
I tell you, it's lots of fun when a group of spandexers is trying to keep up and failing.
Valkenburg's local mailman had the same when he managed to pass elite cyclists uphill the Cauberg during a race, with his bags filled with mail and a smile on his face.

The best way you get good at something is to simply do it as much as possible. Every day, also in bad weather, also when feeling ill, when hungry, when... ...

.....I wonder if we're not over-studying this. I mean the best in freediving are the wales, seals and turtles. None of them does tables or uses a stopwatch. They just dive because that's what they do....

....we share quite some genetics. So I wonder, what would be more effective: three days a week training with tables, dynamics, statics, etc., or simply holding your breath as much as possible, preferably in the water, but possibly out of the water as well, no pushing it, stopping as it starts to feel uncomfortable, in order not to get exhausted from it.....

...sport cyclist, but so far -no one- managed to out-race me. My 'training' was that I cycled to work and the climbing gym every day, about 50km daily. No €5000 carbon bike, no fake-sponsor team-kit. Nothing aero, ....
I tell you, it's lots of fun when a group of spandexers is trying to keep up and failing.
Valkenburg's local mailman had the same when he managed to pass elite cyclists uphill the Cauberg during a race, with his bags filled with mail and a smile on his face.

The best way you get good at something is to simply do it as much as possible. Every day, also in bad weather, also when feeling ill, when hungry, when... ...

Animals have it as a way of life, sport was invented by modern humans to replace a lost way of life.
modern lifestyle is what is bad for health, but for some of modern humans, they kinda picked some of the best practice they can find to keep some of their lost performances.

We are inteligent creatures and we can optimize our time, not everyone can dive everyday, i wish i could live close to the sea and dive everyday, but the reality is i live 400km away, and i dont have daily job to commute to by riding a bicycle everyday, i used my bicycle as much as i could when i have to go downtown to buy stuff or pay taxes and bills.

About tables, the proof is in the pudding, just 2 months ago i was struggling to do a 5min static, tho i trained past 2 years, but it was on off, and last time i did any tables was like more than 9months ago, after picking it up again, i can now do 7min, so +2min in 1 month and surpassed my previous personal bests. when last year i was going to the swimming pool 2 times per weeks to train dyamic apnea, i didnt make much progress in my static.

I should remind you that the topic of this thread is about anaerobic vs aerobic

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT