• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving and ADHD.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sjurba

Feb 9, 2010
Ive been recently diagosed with ADHD and my doctor wants to try me on Ritalin, just wondering if it is compatable with freediving?

Well, it’s basically an amphetamine, but the dosage is very small. So it’ll probably have an effect on your ability to relax and lower your heart rate. But as amphetamines it has very short half life so maybe just don’t do it like 6hrs prior to freediving you should be fine. It’s not like your treatment is going to be destroyed for missing a pill.

Cardio an hour a day has done wonders for me. I’ve not been diagnosed with ADHD but I exhibit strong symptoms. Running, spinning/cycling, maybe even worked into you commute does WONDERS.

If you can do your heart and body good, while NOT letting someone profit indefinitely of your personality (I refuse to call it a disorder), you would be shooting two fish with one shot.

A friend of mine has also been doing 20 min of meditation every day and has been trying to get everyone he knows to do it.

Has your doctor suggested any alternatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

amphetamine generally increases the heart rate as does methylphenidate (ritalin).

side effects of methylphenidate include:

Cardiac adverse effects may include palpitations, changes in blood pressure and heart rate (typically mild), tachycardia (rapid resting heart rate), and Raynaud's phenomenon(reduced blood flow to the hands and feet).

stimulants are probably the last drug you might want to take while freediving. although low doses can be relaxing and make you pay more attention to technique, heartrate, etc. If i had to guess i would say the overall effect of a stimulant would be detrimental to freediving.

Reactions: Sorandril
You tube has a good amount of therapy sudjestions ,Treatments, Some persons respond better to different treatments.Hope you find the one that suits you

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT