• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving and Life Insurance

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pelagicbeing

Stellar Pelagic
May 6, 2005
Hi,

I am looking at taking out life insurance [now i am all grown up with family and home etc :) ], and i wondered if anyone had any experience of insurance companies reaction to having Freediving as a past time? I have visions of very high premiums due to the perception of the sport.:naughty

Thanks in advance for any feedback / info.

Pelagicbeing

Last edited:
So far, mine wants to know about scuba, but doesn't know freediving exists. I'd just as soon keep it that way.

Connor

Me too, no probs. Just answer the questions truthfully. Do you scuba? Do you snorkel? They might add for you to offer anything that you think might otherwise affect the policy. Its better of course to buy your policy before you commence a new sport.

If you took out a policy, had an acident doing a new sport, i would imagine that in the small print you would not be insured.

I would maybe phone an insurance company not related to yours for some unbiased advice, say you are thinking of swapping over.

Thank you to everyone for your reply, that does help. :) Will see how it turns out when i get some quotes.

Pelagicbeing

I doubt they could withhold payment unless you specifically lied about freediving and I don't think they ask about freediving. Almost all policies pay even on suicide now but there is a waiting period of a year or two before you are covered for suicide. I don't see how they would deny a "snorkeling" accident if they pay out on suicides.

It depends on country and company, so exact answer is hard to give. Better ask it from your company and other companies.

About insurances for freediving, not just life insurance:
If traveling a lot and (free)diving there, a DAN-insurance is a good choice to think about. It's an insurance for diving accidents, not only a life insurance.

Those who are competitive freedivers need a special sport competition insurance (lisence) for competitions, but maybe it depends on a country... I have taken it via a national diving organisation, just about 30-40 € for a year here. But it is full-time and world wide diving insurance for any diving accident, for also non-competitive cases. But it's not enough for life insurance (under 10.000 €/$ for death). It's more for to pay to hospitals etc.

we were just talking about this subject at dinner last night. if there isn't a box to check ( like there is for scuba) don't check it!

more people get killed by toasters in a year than by freediving, but sadly there's a misconception about the perils. the truth is when done in the existing safety protocols with a buddy, freediving is much safer than say riding your bike - but insurance companies tend to miss that point.

my husband has high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels, but on our life insurance policies i have the super-high monthly premium because i am a scuba instructor :t

go figure....

kp

You should inform your insurance company if you start any dangerous sports. They may exclude freediving and spearing but if you don't tell them they might not pay out. The diving questionnaire asks for mostly scuba information but there is a section at the bottom that asks for any further information, this is where you are expected to disclose the sport.
Just my 10 cents

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT