• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving and Spearfishing in Scotland ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Clems6689

Sep 4, 2019
Hi guys,

I will move in Scotland (Stirling) at the end of september. I saw that freediving club or spearfish club are scarce around here.

Is there anyone motivated to spearfish or do some freediving session ? If you have any advises/recommandation :)

Cheers
Clem

Hi, I moved to Scotland in 2019. I'm a bit of a softie and used to clear warm water so haven't been in yet - but the pressure is building. Does anyone on here know about spearing in Scotland? I could use some local knowledge!

Hi, I moved to Scotland in 2019. I'm a bit of a softie and used to clear warm water so haven't been in yet - but the pressure is building. Does anyone on here know about spearing in Scotland? I could use some local knowledge!

Scotland are full of nice spots, but I can't give you specific. I'll try the East coast once allowed ;)

Where abouts in Scotland did you move to as it is a big area with many different coast lines and Islands each providing a different spearfishing opportunities and circumstances. What sort of knowledge are you looking for?

I’m originally from Scotalnd but spent last 18years in Australia. Now back in Scotland spearing but it’s like being back in the deep end again. :) But loving not having to look over my shoulder every couple of minutes for the menu in grey suits (sharks)
Where I’m at (east coast) you need to get used to Kelp beds - lots and and lots of kelp. Most of the fish I’m seeing are at the bottom of the kelp so care is needed if there’s a swell. I mainly try chasing Pollock and Coal Fish

If open clear water is more your thing, there’s plenty remote beaches for the flat fish - weather tides and moon phase being pretty important.

Reactions: foxfish
I will move in Scotland (Stirling) at the end of september. I saw that freediving club or spearfish club are scarce around here.
You'd maybe be surprised but there's quite a lot going on up here really, more so than ever.
Have a look at freedive Scotland which is based near you - https://m.facebook.com/freedivingscotland/
Some of the guys spearfish as well and probably a good starting point to meet fellow Spearos

Thanks for your answers. I've tried last week near north berwick for the first time in months ! Was great ! I guess Scottish waters are too cold for bass? Plenty of Pollock showed up but not a single sea bass :)

Thanks for your answers. I've tried last week near north berwick for the first time in months ! Was great ! I guess Scottish waters are too cold for bass? Plenty of Pollock showed up but not a single sea bass :)
Beadnell area isnt too far away and can be good for Bass

Founded by Ivor Howitt and friends in 1948 in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, The Amphibians Club was the first post-war British sport diving club:
img_0344-1.jpg

Ivor assists Hamish Gavin with the Siebe-Gorman air-scuba. Lui Burn dive pool, Upper Deeside 1950.

For further details, see The Amphibians Club. The club was recreated in 2019.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT