• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving and Spearfishing - Saskatchewan

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kristian Eppen

Mar 15, 2015
Hello;

I am a new member but have been following this website for quite some time. I would like to get to know some more people in the Saskatoon area who spearfish/freedive.

I have been freediving for roughly 5 years and would like to spearfish this coming season. Just gearing up here now.

Post here or PM me and we can go from there.

Hi Kristian, have you searched this subforum for folks in your area? Some of them have posted looking for diving partners in your area. That might be another way to find locals.

Cheers.

Hi Kristian, have you searched this subforum for folks in your area? Some of them have posted looking for diving partners in your area. That might be another way to find locals.

Cheers.

Yes I actually just did that. Most of the posts seem to be 5+ years old so figured I could make a updated one. People who are still current in the art.

Cool. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

One member said you guys can spear trout. Wish we could do that here. All we can spear is carp and suckers, at least in the inland areas.

Yea we have some decent fishing out this way. Although I did wish I lived down in Cali...

Wouldn't need 5-7mm suits

You might not need 5-7mm if you prefer diving in warm inland lakes, but you definitely need it in the ocean. Most of mine are 5mm farmer john/jacket combos.

Hello;

I am a new member but have been following this website for quite some time. I would like to get to know some more people in the Saskatoon area who spearfish/freedive.

I have been freediving for roughly 5 years and would like to spearfish this coming season. Just gearing up here now.

I am from Saskatoon and Spearfish. I'm pretty into it and have a fair amount of gear. If you are interested we can head out. I usually start at the end of May

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to Saskatoon as well. I am having a difficult time finding a freediving programme here. I just obtained a level 2-SSI certification after hard training in Mexico and would love to continue my training and improving my techniques. Can someone please advise me on where to go if you know the area? Thanks a lot and happy new year.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to Saskatoon as well. I am having a difficult time finding a freediving programme here. I just obtained a level 2-SSI certification after hard training in Mexico and would love to continue my training and improving my techniques. Can someone please advise me on where to go if you know the area? Thanks a lot and happy new year.

I'm also new to the forum. I'm in Regina. Just wondering if there is anybody actively freediving and /or training around here. I would like to get into the sport, I've been looking at some of the courses in Mexico as well. How did you like the one you took? Would you recommend it?

I'm also new to the forum. I'm in Regina. Just wondering if there is anybody actively freediving and /or training around here. I would like to get into the sport, I've been looking at some of the courses in Mexico as well. How did you like the one you took? Would you recommend it?
Hi NorthernDiver,

I still have not had good luck finding anyone that freedives here and I am new to Saskatoon. There is a diving school that at the moment only offers scuba diving courses when I phoned them. Regarding the course in Mexico, I took my first one (an AIDA level one) In Baja California Sur and I loved the fact that you have the ocean to practise and the instructor was patient and would explain well. Then I took 2 more advanced courses in Mexico City (SSI 1 and SSI 2) and absolutely loved it. Even though we practised in a 5 m deep pool, the training was gradual and sometimes hard but definitely recommend it. The instructors are amazing, very patient, knowledgeable, you by rule have to have at least 2 theory classes on a classroom per level and your final exam (both written and during the open waters evaluation). During the evaluation of level 1, we camped in a beautiful lagoon in central Mexico (Laguna de la Media Luna) and had two days of evaluation. During the evaluation of level 2 we stayed in Zipolite, Oaxaca and had 2 days of evaluation in open seas. It was fantastic and highly recommend this course to anyone

Hi Claudia,

Thank you for your reply and all of the information regarding your classes. It sounds like you had great experience with your training! Those places look really nice. I have been near Laguna de la Media Luna (in San Luis Potosi) but that was a while ago. I will continue to look for something that will work for me. I was just wondering if there was a reason you switched from AIDA to SSI?

As for places to freedive here in Saskatchewan, I have put together a list from other posts on this forum (some of those posts were very old). Maybe you already read about these places, but I just thought I would share them. I'm guessing all of the lakes with good visibility are going to be the northern lakes:

Gem Lakes
Meadow Lake Provincial Park
Little Strawberry Lake
White Swan Lake

I haven't been to any of those places, I just read about them. As for southern lakes, a few people have mentioned Lake Diefenbaker and Lovering Lakes. I have been to both (I did my SCUBA training at Lovering). They are ok, but I have never found the visibility to be very good at either when I was there.

Hi all,

I'm in Moose Jaw and also just getting into spearfishing as well. I have some gear and shot a fish years ago at Dief and am finally ready to give it another shot. I am just self-teaching and learning at the moment, going for swims, have an apnea app... But am also interested in making spearfishing contacts. I am willing to tag along and help/observe as I learn the ropes.

Tyler

I SpearFish from the Saskatoon area. I go North and South to spots. Looking to do more Freediving this year. Feel free to message me.

Hello;

hey I'm new to free diving but have been fishing diefenbaker lake for years I purchased all my gear this winter and am going to be going their a lot this summer if your interested in coming will be trying my hand at spear fishing recently purchased a SEAC Sting.

Hi NorthernDiver,

I still have not had good luck finding anyone that freedives here and I am new to Saskatoon. There is a diving school that at the moment only offers scuba diving courses when I phoned them. Regarding the course in Mexico, I took my first one (an AIDA level one) In Baja California Sur and I loved the fact that you have the ocean to practise and the instructor was patient and would explain well. Then I took 2 more advanced courses in Mexico City (SSI 1 and SSI 2) and absolutely loved it. Even though we practised in a 5 m deep pool, the training was gradual and sometimes hard but definitely recommend it. The instructors are amazing, very patient, knowledgeable, you by rule have to have at least 2 theory classes on a classroom per level and your final exam (both written and during the open waters evaluation). During the evaluation of level 1, we camped in a beautiful lagoon in central Mexico (Laguna de la Media Luna) and had two days of evaluation. During the evaluation of level 2 we stayed in Zipolite, Oaxaca and had 2 days of evaluation in open seas. It was fantastic and highly recommend this course to anyone
going to Diefenbaker as much as possible this year from stoon as well if your looking for someone to go with.

Hello, I am new to freediving. I am in Moose Jaw/Regina area, looking for a freediving partner for spring and summer. I want to learn the ropes so I can eventually work up to spearfishing. I am currently training to be a lifeguard, and for freediving I've been working on breathholding/swimming with long fins. Just been planning and buying necessary equipment, so far hardest part has been finding a partner. Closest to diefenbaker and lovering, though planning to get out to white swan at least once this spring/summer. Whether you are closer to Saskatoon or Regina, doesn't matter. Shoot me a response we'll figure something out.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT