• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving buoy and flag. Is white visible enough?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JoshuaBland

Oct 25, 2021
Hello i'm a level 1 PADI certified Freediver and want to start pushing myself to develop my skills. I was thinking that having a practice buoy may help and came across the 2 b Free white buoy. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this float and if you think white will be visible enough for safety.

Hello i'm a level 1 PADI certified Freediver and want to start pushing myself to develop my skills. I was thinking that having a practice buoy may help and came across the 2 b Free white buoy. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this float and if you think white will be visible enough for safety.
My thought is that it's more important to have a visible flag attached to the buoy. Either the Alpha or the red and white diver down flag. Higher the better.
To me, most colors are fairly visible. The most being safety green, then blaze orange. The issue is the buoy disappearing in the swells or wake. I think you'll be fine with their white buoy otherwise.

Reactions: JoshuaBland
The big risk with diving in an area where people are not accustomed to looking for divers is not sending the right message. Plenty of people in boats could give a care less what they are motoring past especially close to shore. The best thing is to have a very visible and very obvious flag specifically for diving. Where I dive people on jet skis think a standard bag float is a fun object to jump. A flag helps people realize the float is not just a kayak upside down or something that fell off a boat, that will keep authorities from interrupting your dive as well.

Reactions: JoshuaBland
My thought is that it's more important to have a visible flag attached to the buoy. Either the Alpha or the red and white diver down flag. Higher the better.
To me, most colors are fairly visible. The most being safety green, then blaze orange. The issue is the buoy disappearing in the swells or wake. I think you'll be fine with their white buoy otherwise.
okay so as long as I have a good flag I should be okay with any colour. Thank you!

The big risk with diving in an area where people are not accustomed to looking for divers is not sending the right message. Plenty of people in boats could give a care less what they are motoring past especially close to shore. The best thing is to have a very visible and very obvious flag specifically for diving. Where I dive people on jet skis think a standard bag float is a fun object to jump. A flag helps people realize the float is not just a kayak upside down or something that fell off a boat, that will keep authorities from interrupting your dive as well.
Thank you, very much!
I live in Nova Scotia where freediving is a relatively small sport, with no flag laws (according to local dive shop). I never considered jet skis so I'm really happy you mentioned it. I will defiantly be making sure I get a flag for the float.

Yep Here’s a solution you might really enjoy! Look up the “BEUCHAT Guardian Board Float with Legal Dive Flag” It was designed for free diving spear fishing but it really is quite suitable for your application and has a fairly tall carbon fiber round tube Dive Flag pole included. For added visibility get the “ACR C-Strobe Manual Activated Personal Distress Strobe Light” The manual one allows you to twist the head to turn the strobe on opposed to the water activated one. Get the manual and you can cleave it clipped to the top of the dive flag tube by putting one of the strobe’s plastic clips inside the tube. It makes for a really good visibility and dive marker buoy! The float is super nice snd accommodate a lot of stuff. I use mine for SCUBA in lakes all the time and establish a down line quite easily!

Cheers, #SeattleRingHunter
315E51C0-24B5-492D-B196-DF17C4AFF417.jpeg
400C00F9-3F9E-4BED-A79A-ED4FD4B4772B.jpeg

Yep Here’s a solution you might really enjoy! Look up the “BEUCHAT Guardian Board Float with Legal Dive Flag” It was designed for free diving spear fishing but it really is quite suitable for your application and has a fairly tall carbon fiber round tube Dive Flag pole included. For added visibility get the “ACR C-Strobe Manual Activated Personal Distress Strobe Light” The manual one allows you to twist the head to turn the strobe on opposed to the water activated one. Get the manual and you can cleave it clipped to the top of the dive flag tube by putting one of the strobe’s plastic clips inside the tube. It makes for a really good visibility and dive marker buoy! The float is super nice snd accommodate a lot of stuff. I use mine for SCUBA in lakes all the time and establish a down line quite easily!

Cheers, #SeattleRingHunter View attachment 57618View attachment 57619
This looks like a great set up! I like the idea of the "boat" shape instead of the tube, Im assuming its easier to push through the water that way? That might be worth doing some research on, Thank you for sharing!

In marine areas, where gray or blue tones prevail, probably red/orange are the colors being best distinguished. In fact, many warning signals are red, rescuers wear red suites. So I'd go for these colors...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT