• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving certification?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Adventures doesn't have much of a reputation here in calgary. Steer clear. Go see Charlene at Aquasport if you need anything she'll treat you right.

I emailed them this:
Dear store owner/manager.
Recently a young and impressionable freediver I know was in your store and was told by one of your instructors (who claims to be a certified freediving instructor- I'm curious who he is and who 'certified' him, as I know almost every freediver in Canada by name or personally, including the only real Instructors) that breathold diving in Canada is regulated and that a person must be certified to do so.

This is certainly not the case and any Instructor of any merit knows that this is a complete fabrication, certainly reportable to PADI or any other agency your store uses to certify SCUBA divers. My experience with PADI is that no consequences would come of reporting this, so I will not bother. The BBB may be interested though.
If I hear any more outright lies like this I will aggressively distribute this information of your store practices through CAFA (you should know who that is, since you apparently have experts on freediving in your staff) and various other freediving and spearfishing based organisations that are very active on the internet. Maybe I'll even give PADI a try and see if they actually give a damn too.

Freediving is thankfully one of the unregulated activities left and it will stay that way.
Erik Young, AltaSub
Edmonton

Reactions: island_sands
Kudos to you "Ol' Balsy One"! I will be curious as to how the store owner handles this and whether or not he or she keeps that employee.

:)

LOL you rock Eric, let us know if you get a response.

I would just like to respond to this hot topic.

I am an Instructor at Adventures in Scuba, and have been asked to speak on the owners behalf.

Adventures in Scuba is NOT in the business of free diving, does not have any expierence with free diving, and does not currently have any staff that are involoved with the sport.

The email that Eric sent on friday was read for the first time at 8:30 this morning. At 11:00 a discussion was held with said individual and at 11:20 said individual was terminated.

Adventures in Scuba does not promote gossip or bad mouthing of other water sports or facilities, and oviously takes mis-truths very seriously.

We hope this brings closure to the bashing of Adventures in Scuba!

We are more than willing to hold open discussions on topics that we are familiar with and have some sort of knowledge about.

Terry

Last edited:
I must say that whether Adventures in Scuba is the best shop or not, their response to Erik's email was much more than I would have expected. It shows a level of ethics that isn't apparent with many businesses.

Terry's post here shows an admirable level of bravery as well. Thanks for clearing that up.

Jim
From the other CA

PS-
Until I read the entire thread I was about to ask why after taking a class from Canada's most prolific freediving instruction school I never received a formal certification card.

Hey Terry,

I must say how impressed I am that Adventures in Scuba took this seriously, and the timely manner in which it was handled.

Thank you.

Vessey

I presume "terminated" means that the staff member was removed from his position of employment rather than despatched with a lethal injection!
Either way it does seem extreme to lose your job/life over some mis information. The employee should have been asked to explain their actions and asked to refrain from commenting on subjects which they obviously have little knowledge. Maybe a statement from the ex employee could be posted so that we can check that he is still alive:)

Very impressed with the quick response... I received an email just a while ago this morning and was just about to ask messey for more info.
Thanks for the response Terry, and as a sidebar, I have only ever heard good things about the store in the past.
You can see that we hold freediving close to our hearts here.
Thanks,
Erik Young

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT