• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving filmography

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pelagicbeing

Stellar Pelagic
May 6, 2005
I am thinking of trying to create some sort of 'wings' for my UW video camera housing to help make my filmed shots more stable + smoother when i freedive (particularly now that i am using a monofin these days.)

My question is are there any budding 'sub aquatic spielburgs' out there who have already tried / done this? does it work?

Any suggestions on size / shape of the wing?
Would it be better mounted on the bottom or the top of the housing?
Material? (i am thinking perspex / cheap plastic breadboard cut to shape?)

I would be really grateful for any advice from those who have gone before....

pelagicbeing

Last edited:
i ll buy a camera kodak v530 in this week and i ll do a case from thick glass of a car front window ..it is durable and very clean window..not yet..but make it on paper :)

Im sorry Sedate...i not quite sure what your trying to say?

I was talking about an addition of a type of 'wing' to the camera housing to hopefully make the camera have slower movements on the vertical plane.

Thanks

pelagicbeing

What you are thinking of isn't related to having wings - a naturally heavier camera and housing will provide the stability needed for smoother shooting. Ask any serious underwater video shooter and they say as much as they detest hauling around A SONY Z1U in a Gates or Amphibico housing, they later rant and rave at hos smooth they can shoot with it - I have heard of many underwater shooters who would prefer to shoot with something like a SONY HC3 in a L&M Bluefin housing, but because of the lack of dead weight, they can't keep the camera steady while shooting.

It's a compromise to say the least. I think using a monofin is a big mistake if you are trying to shoot video while freediving. I would never choose that over bi-fins - Bi-fins provide much better maneuverability when needing to change direction while shooting. Monofin is for competition only in my opinion.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT