• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving fins for Scuba Diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andy2667

Nov 17, 2015
Hi All,

I am a recreational scuba diver with not too strong legs. W: 80kg, H: 170cm normally doing live aboard with divers congesting in small boat. Switched to use free diving fins a couple years ago for more efficient finning and handling strong currents. I am using Omer Sting Ray Plastic fins.This is already miles ahead of standard scuba type short fins I used before in terms of efficiency and handling strong current. It is also quite durable . However, I am now sourcing more powerful and more efficient fins for an upgrade for handling my coming trip to Galapagos.

I wonder if fiber glass, fiber glass/carbon composite or carbon are better choices in terms of easier to fin, handing current better and be more efficient. You opinion and experience is very much appreciated.

Apart from price, my concerns are if these composite fibre fins can be as durable or more durable than my plastic ones. Also worry about they will break suddenly when fighting strong current.

I am now considering:
- Pathos Abssy Carbon (said to be very efficient but it looks a bit fragile for my application).
- DiveR composite or all the way to the Innergra (said to be very durable and bullet proof. Not sure if it is the right choice for my application. Also a bit expensive).
- Bluetec Checkmate (quite expensive. Also not sure if it is durable for my application)
- Or other choices recommended by you.

I also not sure if medium or soft stiffness is a better choice for my application. The Plastic Omer Sting Ray I am using is not difficult to fin.

I note that quite a lot of Scuba Spearfishing divers are using long fins. It would be great if you could advise your opinions/experience on this.

If the carbon/glass fibre type fins are not a lot better than the plastic ones I am using, I may stick to my existing plastic fins (money is not the key factors but performance is).

Thanks

Would it be my Omer Stingray Plastic fins still a better choice than fibre fins because there would be not much difference when used for Scuba and plastic can be more durable?

For spear fishing that involves moving around a lot, longfins are light years ahead of normal scuba fins, even jetfins. Long personal experiance.

Durability: other things being equal, plastic is most durable for a scuba diver, fiberglass next, carbon a long third. Note: there may be big differences in durability between brands. Personal experiance, Cressi's are near indestructable. A diving buddy has DiveR fiber glass softs, dives near every day and has had them for years, seem very durable, but he is a very careful diver, and not a scuby.

Performance: for scuba diving, you may feel different, but the actual performance isn't enough different to pay the extra. Get the softest plastics you can. They will have less torque(acceleration) than stiffer fins, but will be much easier on you legs and just as fast.

Be careful if you go carbon fiber I have read were just jumping off the boat will break them. I use fiberglass fins (Medium)for Freediving but I have used mares razors plastic for scuba only problem was it was a small boat and it was a hassle to get in the water with them on because of the small space on the boat but they worked great.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT