• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Florida Springs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

art.on.the.fly

Oct 27, 2023
Morning,
My life partner and I moved from CO to FL and are getting into recreational freediving. There are plenty of springs here. Favorites are Blue Spring State Park, ichetucknee state park, ginnie, Troy etc....etc... My partner is currently working on the cave dive at Blue Sping(he's been diving longer than me) the close November 15 for Manatee season.

We've been exploring the terrifying world of open cell wetsuits. It's both entertaining and mortifying.

Loving the adventure!

The spring fed rivers are beautiful. Its been over 70 years now but as a teenager I dove Crystal River, Homosassa, Weeki Wachee, and a couple of others on the West Coast. I'm not sure about all of them, but Crystal River has a constant temperature of 72 degrees F year round. That's not very challenging in terms of wet suit requirements, but what is it that concerns you about open cell suits?

Last edited:
Hey Bill,
We've been to so many springs out here! Love them!!! As far as the open cell suits, I had a bad run in with a jacket that was too small. Felt like a boa constrictor! I've got one that fits better now. Will most likely go for a custom once I get through a few doctor appointments that I have coming up. I'm also concerned about all that hair conditioner soaking into my skin. That can't be healthy.......Trying to find an alternative.

Hey Bill,
We've been to so many springs out here! Love them!!! As far as the open cell suits, I had a bad run in with a jacket that was too small. Felt like a boa constrictor! I've got one that fits better now. Will most likely go for a custom once I get through a few doctor appointments that I have coming up. I'm also concerned about all that hair conditioner soaking into my skin. That can't be healthy.......Trying to find an alternative.
A jacket that's too tight is bad news whether it's open cell or not. I've used open cell suits in the chilly California water for years, and they are definitely warmer. I use custom suits too but I have no choice. My weird body demands them. I use a scentless alcohol-free conditioner that advertises as for the body, so I can't see how it's unhealthy. But some of my friends use baby shampoo.

A jacket that's too tight is bad news whether it's open cell or not. I've used open cell suits in the chilly California water for years, and they are definitely warmer. I use custom suits too but I have no choice. My weird body demands them. I use a scentless alcohol-free conditioner that advertises as for the body, so I can't see how it's unhealthy. But some of my friends use baby shampoo.
We've heard of people using baby shampoo. Yes the open cell suits give you the ability to stay in the water for hours. It's nice to call it quits because your tired rather than cold!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT