• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving In Azores

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

francois

Feb 13, 2004
Freediving in Azores...

At this latitude (between Lisbon and New York), in the middle of the atlantic, Azores are not the expected place to freedive.

In fact, the archipelago of Azores is the most amazing place i was given to freedive.

It s an untouched land.

Waters are clear (40m+)
Big BIg fish (tropical species)
Low current in some places
Warm water (gulf stream)

I love diving there...i even planned do make a national record .
Paulo and Simone organise freediving cleanics. Both are AIDA Trainers. Boats and sled. Very nice people.

paulodive@hotmail.com
http://www.ciberacores.com/quarto/
www.rumoaoabismo.com

You ll love it

Francois:cool:

Been there - can support what Francois is saying. Though not 40+ vivibility everyday. Currents and plankton can reduce it quite alot.
Not that easy to find protected deep places around Paulo and Simones island Fayal - but nice culture and beautiful islands.
Possibility to spearfish (or let the locals do it and hope to get invited on BBQ).
Dont forget to go whalewatching and even swimming with doplhins.

We had a small inofficial Aida comp when I was there and two portugeese teams beat a swedish team and a South african team.

Sebastian

:confused:

TSS tSSS TSSSSSS

You have a lot of plancton from may to June...the "bloom".

Bad luck

August to mid september is just perfect...a lake

francois

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT