• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving In Cornwall

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jackrussell

Apr 15, 2006
Hi Saltfree divers. I have now been to Chepstow twice so I am beginning to meet some of the regulars.
Whenever the weather is good I head off to Cornwall for the weekend. This weekend is the first time for ages that the weather is forecast to be good.

I know some good places for freediving and where the good campsites are.

Porthgwarra (2 mile from Land’s End). Usually excellent visibility and you usually get seals that come in with. Freediving with seals is fantastic. Max depth 16 metres. Nb don’t go out of the cove because of strong currents.

Lamorna Cove (5 mile south of Penzance) Good visibility and max depth of 20 metres. Easy access ie car park right next to beach. Hence often used for scuba lessons.

Prussia Cove. (5 miles east of Penzance). Very picturesque above and below the water. Good visibility and loads to look at. Ie Lots of Gullies with the tops covered in seaweed so gives the impression of swimming through tunnels. Shoals of sand eels and wrasse. Max depth 16 metres. Also very sheltered so you can go out a long way and currents are not a problem.

If anybody fancies coming along please let me know. Ask around if anybody else want to comes. The more the merrier.

Cheers

Pete

Hey Pete,

I was at the meet on Sunday just gone, although i didnt get a chance to say hello (too busy trying to warm up). Diving in Cornwall sounds great, would love to come this weekend, but unfortunately im tied up (not literally.. although that would be an interesting weekend) but whenever you are arranging to go again, post it up as have got some surfer friends who often go to Cornwall and so would be nice to do a bit of diving.

Kate

Hey Pete,

I was at the meet on Sunday just gone, although i didnt get a chance to say hello (too busy trying to warm up). Diving in Cornwall sounds great, would love to come this weekend, but unfortunately im tied up (not literally.. although that would be an interesting weekend) but whenever you are arranging to go again, post it up as have got some surfer friends who often go to Cornwall and so would be nice to do a bit of diving.

Kate

Apologies for the repeate post, lost internet connection! Opps! (im no good at this technology stuff!) whatever happened to good old fashioned paper and pen!

Hi Kate

Don’t worry about the double post.

Porthgwarra would be handy for your surfer friends because only 3 miles north is Sennen Cove. Unlike Porthgwarra it is open to the Atlantic so popular with surfers.

They could surf with the seals whilst you freedive with the seals.

Pete

Hi,

Tim and I are on a scuba trip to Penzance this weekend. However, we could pack our freediving stuff and prehaps meet up for a day. I'll have a word with him.

Sue-Ling

Hi Sue-Ling.

Say hello to Tim for me please. That would be great if you two can make it. I am stopping at a super campsite about 3 miles from Penzance called Trevair Touring Park. It’s only £5.00 a night. It is sheltered, level, quiet and spacious and they do ice packs. He also has a large compressor and offers air, Nitrox and Trimix.

Check out:

Trevair Touring Park: camping & touring in Cornwall

Bring your spearfishing gear because I often see Bass in the places that I go.

Send me a pm with contact details if that’s okay and hopefully something can be arranged.

The weather looks good down there for the rest of the week. I had booked Tuesday and Wednesday off to do some building work on my house but I think I will stay down there until Wednesday.

Pete

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT