• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving in Rhode Island

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Beavertail

Jan 1, 2004
Looking for buddy to freedive/spearfish, train in Rhode Island. Not really interested in competitions. Spearfishing @ 4yrs, but know Rhode Island coast very well.

Reactions: sammydive and thud
I dive RI starting in April. What are your favorite locations to dive nothing specific just looking to see your style and the depths you hit.
Lance

Reactions: thud
Scrounger, I too start diving around April. Favorite places include Jamestown (beavertail hence my user name), Newport shoreline, and a couple places on the south shore especially in the spring. I do mostly shore dives, but hopefully may have access to a boat my brother will be completing in the early summer. Last year I had some equalizing problems so I dove around 20' dp. Have gone deeper but I usually go alone, so I don't chance it. Looking foward to getting in the water soon!

Brian

Beavertail, I should have my boat running this summer, as long as all goes well with the motor. Last year it wasn't working well and I was forced to walk and use the kayak. After I get a few dives in to work out the bugs I will send you a PM and we could head to Jamestown if you are still looking for a buddy to dive with.
Lance

Scrounger, That sounds good. I just bought a small inflatable around a week ago so it shouldn't be a problem getting off the shore. I went to Beavertail the other day the state mowed paths to the East and West channels. I thought last year was bad with the increase of surf fishing. Do you live in RI?

Brian

Yes, I do live in RI, I mostly dive Narragansett and a couple other places. Thus year I plan to spend more time in Newport and try over by the East wall. I also hope to make a trip or to block island. I am trying to shoot a black sea bass as my goal for the summer. As i have yet to. do you have any plans for new dive spots this summer or just more exploration of beavertail? i don't know if you have said but how long have you been diving? i have been serious for 5 years now,
Lance

Lance, I've been diving 4yrs. typically 3-4 times a week throughout the season. I tried Block Island last summer, Mohegan Bluffs, I didn't see Stripers but I got a nice flounder. I have yet to see a Black Sea Bass diving, sounds like a good goal though. With the boat this year I would like to dive some outcroppings off Bonnet shores, jamestown and Newport. But for shore dives after work in the evening I perfer places like the Sachuest point and Jamestown. It all depends on the water quality though. I would like to try Point Judith this year. Have you ever dove off the point? I heard it's good but you have to go on a slack tide.

Brian

I haven't had the best of luck at point Judith, I find some nice fluke now and then. There are the blues that cruise there and they say its a triggerfish hotspot. The black fish are spread out and small. But on the plus I have seen bonito come through but was to slow to get one. I have some good spots to share, for most fish your looking for. But not for black sea bass. I hear that bonnet has big blackfish. But its is hard to get to without a boat. I have a good spot for winter flounder if they are there this year, so April will be fun. Quick shore dives are usually what I go for at after work. This summer I hope I don't have to work so hard so I can spend more time in the water.
Lance

Scrounger, Typical New England, just when you think winter is over, MORE SNOW! I'm looking foward to April. Do you dive the south shore at all?

Brian

Brian, I have gone for a swim in the spring and its snowed on me. Maybe I will take one Wednesday morning if its still snowing. Ha. I should go right off Narragansett beach, people would love it. I could check out the barge while I am at it.
Lance

Scrounger, A little to cold for me but I the visibility should be great. I'm going to the Portland ME boat show this weekend so I'll talk to you when I get back.

Brian

hello beavertail and scrounger I'm 2yr into diving and dive Weekapaug to fishers island, I work in Fall river and will be commuting through newport and looking for some after work spearing in that area, also I have a 20' boat out of avondale in westerly (5min to watch hill) let me know if you guys are interested

Reactions: thud
The mews sounds great, its the only place with bodingtons on tap in south county! weekends and nights are good for me just let me know, I'll be in my wet suit and fins (J/K)
BTW: what is the thickness of your wet suit for this time of year?

Bunkerspoon, I dropped you an e-mail w/ contact info. You know it's been a long winter when you think of going to a bar w/ a wetsuit on. haha. I have a 5mm OMER & a 7mm O'neil wetsuit (just got this winter) but I don't start diving until the end of April. Talk to you later. Scrounger contact me if your interested in meeting up also.

Brian

unfortunately i work weekends, and after the water get to 45 i can spend a fair amount of time in with the 5 mm picasso, but i do my best to seal it up before i jump in.
lance

Hey guys! I live in Swansea, just west of Fall Riva :)D) on 195... I am really into diving, and am picking up freediving since I have done it without really trying for years. I will be moving to western massachusetts in the end of may, but until then I would definitely be down for some freedives in/around the bay, and after I move, I will be out here frequently anyways.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT