• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving in the Caribbean - travel advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Johanas

Nov 26, 2015
Hi guys!
Just signed up for this forum :) I am an intermediate freediver, and I am planning a trip somewhere in the Caribbean this winter in February to do some freediving (deep line diving). It's getting a bit to cold here in Norway for deep diving this time of year :)

My question is this - does anybody have any tips about good freediving sites in the Caribbean where there are freediving schools who offer freediving courses/coached sessions or buddy sessions?

So far google has offered up Cozumel as an option as it seems to have two freediving schools, so if anyone has any experiences freediving in Cozumel I would like to hear about that.

However I am also looking for other places to go for my freediving trip to the Caribbean.

So guys - what can you tell me about freediving in the Caribbean? :)

Best,

Johan

Line diving I don't do much of, but you will find some who do on Grand Cayman. Also lots of deep water, deep and shallow reefs. and, important in winter, good diving that is sheltered from most winter winds. If you like to reef dive deep without a line, Little Cayman is fabulous. Vertical walls from 30 ft, as good coral as can be found in the Caribbean, cheap places to stay, no boat needed, a freedivers paradise, but the best diving is exposed to north winds. You will need to bring a buddy with you, few freedivers there. Search Little Cayman to find our thread giving details of two years of trips. San Salvador has some good walls, from about 50 ft down. The south west tip of the island is incredible. Hard to get to, need a boat and not a lot of freedivers. Dominica is reputed to be fabulous. Haven't been there but its on my list. Lots of very deep water right next to shore. Hard to get to and get around on the island, few freedivers.

Reactions: Johanas
Utila is inexpensive for line diving schools and Roatan is incredible at just a touch more $, but a different scene - less backpackerish than Utila.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Johanas

You should seriously consider the Island of Puerto Rico in the Caribbean.
Look for Puerto Rico Freedivers in google.
Www.PuertoRicoFreedivers.com

Weather in winter time is like your summer time or better than most
Places, 81F water temp. Clear waters and out of San Juan very deep waters
Not far from shore.
Not only serious freediving but also world class spearfishing.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT