• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Kayak Set-up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Aquajim

Sep 6, 2014
Hi there

I am planning to purchase a sea Kayak with the intention of using it as a mode of transport to diving spots and a base from which to set up for freediving training in the sea (2 people). I wanted to ask if anybody has any experience or tips they could share. My initial thoughts on equipment were to get the following:

- Ocean Cuarto or Malibu 2 (appx 4m long 1m wide, sit on top kayak)

- Freediving Buoy (something like this: http://www.apneautic.com/en/product/3-buoy-standard/ )

- Freediving Line, Weight for the buoy & Bottom Plate

My main concern is space on the kayak with all the gear and the best freedive set-up for the buoy, rope, & kayak

Thanks
Jim

I'd look into the Santa Cruz raptor and use it AS my buoy!

I'm getting a Hobie Revolution... But the raptor would be my paddle alternative.

It's a damn SUV, yet still slick through the water.

I would use a large loop of rope an put a doubled-over length of it through the pump-hole in the rear deck and then use a carabiner to attach the weight / plate and dive-line to the loop of rope sticking through the hole.

You can carry a second person out on the rear deck.

Cool design.

Great ideas guys.. ha yeah the kaya is a beast! Lots of space though. I was thinking about using the kayak as a buoy though I was a bit worried about banging my head on the way up .. I often dive with a noseclip so my vision isnt great

after a couple weeks of shopping for kayaks and canoes I decided to build my own dive boat, won't save me any money, but it'll be perfect for what I wanna do.

62 pounds seems awfully heavy for a 'yak

minno

69 lbs / 31 Kg on their website - thats insanely heavy!
but it is an SUV of a yak...
I use an Ocean Venus 11 which is only 19kg and is reasonably quick through the water. I use it mainly for spearfishing though so towing it and diving down, rather than line-diving.
You could easily make an arm sticking out the back to take a dive line from?

Looks like a cool yak you have there! Yeah the ocean quatro is pretty big.. though I do need it to be for 2 people. Great idea about the arm!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…