• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving on YouTube

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
They are diving over the Volcanic Mid-atlantic ridge that runs through iceland, I guess there is some thermal water heating but still chilly.

Then again who wants to dive an active volcano ?:naughty

lammy

NIce place, clear water, though not too deep. If it is a volcano, then perhaps not so cold, which is good. :)

I have a few videos this is one of them.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJEBmkoXvRQ]YouTube - freediving babbacome and oddicombe[/ame]

Ice

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji9BjZwjh_Q]YouTube - Ice freediving Wisconsin 2007[/ame]

Reactions: DeepThought
Benny at the world championship 2006 in egypt - 118 metres dynamic:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ne9NX6LbQ]YouTube - Freediving 118m Dynamic[/ame]

Go, Benny, go !

Enjoy

Holger

Nice performance. However, in the relation to the current discussion about the "pulling" rule, I wonder if Benny was penalized for the touching of the pool wall before surfacing and then grabbing the edge when surfacing. Again, I do not think it helped him to get any extra cm of performance, but I wonder is the penalty of 20m was applied (as far as I know it was not, though). I think it is just another proof that the rule is nonsense and even if it exists it does not help making the conditions more objective and equal for all, but quite oppositely - very strongly discriminating those who had the bad luck of having a judge applying the penalty!

Wow - I put that up yesterday to show a mate back home (too big to email), I can't believe you found it so quickly!

Trux - Youtube's a bit grainy so it's a bit harder to make out but my arms were nowhere near the side when I came up, and my head was completely out of the water when I grabbed the side. I surfaced near the wall so I could grab it for support straight away. If you look at the vid again you can see that my left hand is about 20cm away from the wall when my mouth is out, then I place my left hand on the pool edge, then my right and support my head on both hands. There's never any pulling while my airway is either below or above the water, and the only time my hand touched any surface was after the dive.

As long as the airway is clear you can pull yourself over to the wall, that's quite normal and allowed in comp.

Cheers,
Ben

Trux - Youtube's a bit grainy so it's a bit harder to make out but my arms were nowhere near the side when I came up, and my head was completely out of the water when I grabbed the side. I surfaced near the wall so I could grab it for support straight away. If you look at the vid again you can see that my left hand is about 20cm away from the wall when my mouth is out, then I place my left hand on the pool edge, then my right and support my head on both hands. There's never any pulling while my airway is either below or above the water, and the only time my hand touched any surface was after the dive.
Well, although you are right that the video is grainy, I can see quite clear that you touch the wall far before you start surfacing your head, and grabbing the edge also before your face is clear. In fact it is much more evident and longer than on the discussed video of Wolle, where he was penalized. I am still persuaded that the penalization is nonsense, and do not want to put your performance in doubts in any way - it was respectful regardless of the grabbing. However, I really think this rule should be abolished, because it apparently lets space for speculations and subjective judgments. Even if I am completely wrong, and you did not touch the wall and grabbed the edge when being underwater, a judge may be exactly as wrong as me - and that's the very problem.

Trux, as I said earlier at no point did I touch the wall during the performance. I can see that my hands are concealed from the video just before I surface, but this is due to the camera angle and i'm still nowhere near the wall. If it was remotely questionable then the 2 judges, the official video and the 20 people standing around me would have picked up something. I'm afraid you're going to have to take mine and their word for it.

Trux, as I said earlier at no point did I touch the wall during the performance. I can see that my hands are concealed from the video just before I surface, but this is due to the camera angle and i'm still nowhere near the wall. If it was remotely questionable then the 2 judges, the official video and the 20 people standing around me would have picked up something. I'm afraid you're going to have to take mine and their word for it.
Benny, I do take your word for it, but I still see you touching the wall and grabbing the edge before clearing your face from water very clearly. And as I told, I admit I may be wrong. And I also explain that the subjective opinion, and the space for it the rule creates, is the very problem of it. The rule creates more space for subjective judgements and injustice, than it compensates for unequal conditions. And that's my point - I do not want to discuss or doubt your performence. I could not care less if you really grabbed the edge before or after. For me it is very valid regardless if I see well or not. What I am attacking is not you performance, but the rule that I consider very damaging the sport and allowing for manipulation of results and speculations.

Last edited:
Benny, nice performance! I looked at the video several times, especially the last part. Trux, it's easily to think that he touches the poolside, but after looking at it very well I really think he isn't touching, besides of course believing benny on his word.

It's funny to know that not to long ago there were several situation with AIDA that 2 judges on site okay'd a world record, then the tape of the performance was sent to AIDA, somebody looked at the tape from his home together with a pizza and a beer and decided that the performance wasn't valid because he 'saw something'. Glad that period is over. Point of this story; never base your decision on what you see on video, but only base it on real life observation.

Reactions: BennyB
Point of this story; never base your decision on what you see on video, but only base it on real life observation.
No, sorry, Jorg, I do not really agree with this conclusion at all. The real life observation may be as subjective as watching video, and often even much more because you have no way to push the replay or slow motion button. The only way how to handle the problem is abolishing this stupid rule that only allows for this ambiguity and subjectiveness.

Ok, I understand that you're trying to make a point about the subjectiveness of the pulling rule, but to me (and everyone i've shown this to) I can't understand how you think i'm touching the wall. If you were standing there looking down it was obvious my hands were nowhere near the wall in my last stroke and when I came up. The perspective is always better from the viewpoint of a judge standing right in front of the athlete rather than an amateur video taken from several metres away.
Which is why the judges decide first, and if there's any uncertainty they then look at the video, not the other way around.

I can't understand how you think i'm touching the wall.
As I wrote, I believe you and have no intention to dispute what you tell and what the judges decided. I simply see you touching the wall and grabing the edge, but it may be really the angle. Maybe I would change my mind if I saw the surfacing sequence in full quality, but as far as I can judge from the YouTube clip, I see no big difference between this and Wolle's surfacing. And even if there were a tenth second difference, I do not see any reason why it should be penalized by -20m.

Trux your trippin:crutch Bennys hands are no where near the wall. It looks like he is about to grab it first then pops his head up and then plants his arms. Top effort Benny on the dive, Vid and killer track.:friday

Come home Benny Nat

Reactions: BennyB
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOY7gGrRKA4]Hanauma Bay Freediving[/ame]

Some simple snorkeling/shallow freediving scenes. Gotta love the background music by Jack Johnson. :inlove

I looked at Benny's video several times, it's still very clear his head comes out before he touches the wall. I even tested under different scenarios, including looking at it from 20 cm away, standing 5 metres away from the screen, squinting, standing on my head, after drinking a few good Aussie beers :friday and then all of the above....
in each case it's still a white card but hey that's just me :t

Nice dynamic technique Benny !

Cheers,
Wal

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFatH-nzQN0]YouTube - deepest blue[/ame] Wreck freedive Sydney Australia.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT