• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving on YouTube

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I love the silence of this clip. It captures the peacefulness and tranquility of diving in clear, calm, freshwater.

No tides / waves / reef or many fish... Just you and the large rock formations.

You have to come up to Tobermory in Ontario for similar (albeit colder) action.
I dive with mike when he comes down.. You should join us if you can make the hike! Do you guys have caves/caverns in Ontario too?

We have some great spots in Georgian bay / Lake Huron... and specifically Tobermory with tons of shipwrecks and caves:

I'd love to dive the springs in Fla though....

Freediving in the beautiful colors of Devils Ear at Ginnie Springs, Florida. Tannic river water meeting the flow coming out of the springs gives this place some brilliant underwater colors!

Mike, these colours are just spaced out of this world!

Suggestion, film in 1080@60p, in pro res mode with a go-pro (high bitrate - unprocessed) and then at home colour correct and slow down the image 50%. When filming move slow and work with environment to get those smooth space like compositions, and think of some spaced out story your actors can act out. Such a cool unique colourful scenery deserves a cool freediving short film!

Mike, these colours are just spaced out of this world!

Suggestion, film in 1080@60p, in pro res mode with a go-pro (high bitrate - unprocessed) and then at home colour correct and slow down the image 50%. When filming move slow and work with environment to get those smooth space like compositions, and think of some spaced out story your actors can act out. Such a cool unique colourful scenery deserves a cool freediving short film!
Thanks for the advice Kars!! That second video with the more brilliant colors as you can tell was one of my first times using a camera underwater haha. I just had to share these ever changing colors. I agree some kind of short film in this spot would be awesome.

Thanks for the advice Kars!! That second video with the more brilliant colors as you can tell was one of my first times using a camera underwater haha. I just had to share these ever changing colors. I agree some kind of short film in this spot would be awesome.
Mike,
That sounds like a cool idea, actually. If it's tannic in May we can both get a collection of clips and see what you/I can throw together.

Jake

I'm inspired, pleased and humbled to hear you pick up the challenge. Love to see what you guys come up with. Actually I love to be a fly on the wall and see how this nucleus develops into an unique piece of art. I wish you a wild unfiltered creative colourful rich unlimited fantasy!

ps. it's a great reply to read, now I'm for sure I'm going to spend my lucid dreams on those vibrant colour glides. No mushrooms needed :D

I've just tried this music in combination with your visuals, I'd say it works!

Last edited:
Kars,
Actually, I can get some good footage of it sometime this month. I live very close to there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Great, so you can practice to get the smoothest, coolest angles! - Perhaps take some time to find fitting music, and then think of scenes that match those?

For met colours, shapes, perspective, depth, contrast made the scenes. So distractions such as fast jerky movements, loose snorkels, I would like to remove.
The backlit scubadiver that moved into one scene complemented this scene because he looked so alien and moved slow.

I hope you guys find a good camera, and if it's a gopro, learn how to use the protune. A Canon 5Dm3 with "magic lantern" shooting everything in raw allows great dynamic range fidelity and flexibility for adjustments in post.

Great, so you can practice to get the smoothest, coolest angles! - Perhaps take some time to find fitting music, and then think of scenes that match those?

For met colours, shapes, perspective, depth, contrast made the scenes. So distractions such as fast jerky movements, loose snorkels, I would like to remove.
The backlit scubadiver that moved into one scene complemented this scene because he looked so alien and moved slow.

I hope you guys find a good camera, and if it's a gopro, learn how to use the protune. A Canon 5Dm3 with "magic lantern" shooting everything in raw allows great dynamic range fidelity and flexibility for adjustments in post.
Kars,
I have a GoPro Hero 3 and Mike does as well. I turn protune off due to the darkness of the caverns. It causes the video to become extremely grainy. The place where this tannic water is, Devils Ear at Ginnie Springs, is probably my least favorite because it doesn't live up to the huge cavern of the main spring and the flow is incredibly strong. Although, I do like to dive it sometimes and then move on to the other ones. I have a large canister filming light that illuminates the cavern extremely well, so filming is not a problem. Does anyone know of good editing software for mac? Free or cheap?

Jake

What protune does, is record the sensor image unfiltered. As a user you'll have to apply colour correction, smoothing and sharpening, gamma correction, white balance etc. yourself. - There is a lot of detail in darks and highlights that need to be brought out. If you know how you can obtain an even more pleasing video out of the protune. Since you're new to this, you can just go with the default gopro codec, or play with protune and some decent video software to see if you can reproduce and surpass the standard video quality. According to the film riot youtube channel hitfilm2 is currently available for FREE for unlimited time. I've downloaded it, and it looks like a great and affordable start: https://hitfilm.com/express/free - it's for both pc and mac. This offer last until the 6th of feb, so hurry!

What protune does, is record the sensor image unfiltered. As a user you'll have to apply colour correction, smoothing and sharpening, gamma correction, white balance etc. yourself. - There is a lot of detail in darks and highlights that need to be brought out. If you know how you can obtain an even more pleasing video out of the protune. Since you're new to this, you can just go with the default gopro codec, or play with protune and some decent video software to see if you can reproduce and surpass the standard video quality. According to the film riot youtube channel hitfilm2 is currently available for FREE for unlimited time. I've downloaded it, and it looks like a great and affordable start: https://hitfilm.com/express/free - it's for both pc and mac. This offer last until the 6th of feb, so hurry!
Kars. that music does work great with the video! Thanks for all the great tips!! Unfortunately I live 1,000 miles from this great dive spot so I only get there once or twice a year. I can't wait for my next trip there.

Reactions: FreeDivingJake
Cool video, I like it!

Some extremely narrow holes you go through, some nice spaces and light, cool flag waving shot and funny humor.

I think some of those narrower swim throughs would worry me proca, one on in particular looked pretty tight! Cool vid.

@freedivinmike looks like that could have been taken on another planet, very cool colours

Fun video (Not put together by me) of a recent freediving trip in Victoria with it's (often) challenging visibility ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT