• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving photos from Bonaire

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

roban

Jul 14, 2006
Just wanted to share some photos from a really lovely trip to Bonaire (in the Caribbean off the coast of Venezuela). My partner's cousin and her husband generously took us on an amazing trip there at the beginning of March.

We spent about as much time as we possibly could underwater watching and taking pictures of the marine life. Bonaire is known as a scuba diver's paradise, but we never felt like second-class citizens. The shore access is excellent, with dozens of great sites all along the leeward side of the island, and around the small island of Klein Bonaire. We went out on snorkeling around Klein Bonaire tours on a boat called the Woodwind twice. The guide/owner Dee was really knowledgeable and was an excellent freediver. Most of the other passengers floated, so those of us who dove had plenty of elbow room below the surface, with Dee constantly diving down to point out amazing creature. The rest of our time we just drove to different shore-dive sites. One of our favorites was "Oil Slick Leap," partly because the vertical rock wall constituting the shore (access was by ladder or the eponymous leap) kept the visibility good even when the surf kicked up.

You can see all my photos here: Collection: Bonaire 2009.

I also put a couple short video clips on vimeo: Roban Kramer's videos on Vimeo .

Or a few random selections below:

scrawled filefish
3338428139_ff833b9cdf.jpg

underwater scene
3343477768_0dca41cc11.jpg

green turtle
3342648521_2fde369372.jpg

smooth trunkfish
3343494532_2b1a405a5d.jpg

a not-free diver (I tried not to gloat)
3385585715_7218be52bd.jpg

Is that turtle as small as it looks? I've never seen one that small - wonderful. I've been to Bonaire a couple times - what a great place. The diving is good, the windsurfing is great, and the town is tops. Hope you made it to Mona Lisa's, as well as Donna and Georgios ;).

Did you drop down to the mini dropoff (80-100 feet) before the big one? Every time I went down there I saw schools of big big tarpon.

Very nice pictures, maybe you feel like participating in Martin Müllers apnea photo contest?
Under water, where I belong

Thanks Roban to you photo's I truly got to appreciate the great variety of underwater life on Bonaire!

What kind of camera housing and lens were you using?

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Very nice pictures, maybe you feel like participating in Martin Müllers apnea photo contest?

Thanks Roban to you photo's I truly got to appreciate the great variety of underwater life on Bonaire!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Kars thanks for the info about the photo contest! I surely will add my photos!

Thanks for taking a look, everyone.

Is that turtle as small as it looks? I've never seen one that small - wonderful. I've been to Bonaire a couple times - what a great place. The diving is good, the windsurfing is great, and the town is tops. Hope you made it to Mona Lisa's, as well as Donna and Georgios ;).

Did you drop down to the mini dropoff (80-100 feet) before the big one? Every time I went down there I saw schools of big big tarpon.

unirdna,

It was a pretty small turtle, and very cute "hiding" there in the soft coral. We saw many turtles, both green and hawksbill. Some smaller than that, and many larger. Bonaire was really just lovely. We did eat at Donna and Georgios one night, though it was interrupted by a sudden downpour on our uncovered table.

We are pretty inexperienced freedivers (and cautious about safety given that), so we didn't venture into 80-foot territory this trip, spending most of our time at more like 30 feet (we probably maxed out at 45) enjoying having the breath to cruise around on the bottom for a while and take lots of pictures. I'd love to see big tarpon, though, and explore the dropoffs.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Kars,

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. The diversity of life really was stunning. Thanks for the tip about the contest. Most of my photos are focused on wildlife more than having a "theme representing freediving", but I'm sure I can come up with something.

I forgot to mention it in my post, but the camera is a point-and-shoot Canon Powershot SD1000 with the Canon underwater housing. Our traveling companions (Flickr: Paul and Jill's Photostream) with a digital SLR definitely got clearer photos, especially in low light or cropped tightly, but I'm really happy with the performance of the SD1000 for its price.

-roban

That's awesome, thanks for sharing.
I can't wait until i can dive waters like that. I like your comment on the non-free diver haha.
Keep it up! Happy Diving.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT