• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Freediving pressure issue.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Greg 123

Jul 3, 2019
Hello everyone iam new here. I have an issue with freediving casually. Previous years I used to re pressurise my ears by holding my nose in order to go deeper and deeper. I discovered the ability to do that but without holding my nose. It's like iam flexing a muscle close to my mouth and it happens. This year I can't go deep because my left ear won't represurise. Any tips on how to do it? I have a full face mask so I can't block my nose.

Hello everyone iam new here. I have an issue with freediving casually. Previous years I used to re pressurise my ears by holding my nose in order to go deeper and deeper. I discovered the ability to do that but without holding my nose. It's like iam flexing a muscle close to my mouth and it happens. This year I can't go deep because my left ear won't represurise. Any tips on how to do it? I have a full face mask so I can't block my nose.
Tip #1 is normall to find an instructor or coach to work properly with you. Today it will get moved to tip #2

Tip #1 in this case.. Never-EVER, wear a full face mask. Get a proper Mask and a snorkel.

Full face snorkelling masks (like attached photo) have 3 main problems.

The air volume inside is huge & the frame is rigid. This means you'll have a very hard time keeping up with the rate of air shrinkage and hands-free will become nearly impossible.

Your nose (and mouth) are in a breathing area, isolated from the air around your eyes. This means mask squeeze is nearly inevitable, and again will have a huge negative impact on your ability to hands-free-EQ.

Thirdly, diving (apnea) like this means you'll be doing your recovery breaths though a snorkel with some air resistance. This greatly increases your risk of having a post-dive surface blackout.

If you want to enjoy the water.. do it with a proper mask and snorkel

Attachments

• IMG_0871.PNG
    IMG_0871.PNG
    219.9 KB · Views: 178
What you were doing. Congratulations, its a relatively rare gift! You are correct about the muscle. You can feel it with your finger if you probe in your mouth,behind the hard palete to the left and right of the centerline. Be gentle. My guess is the combo of the full face mask and maybe a bit of swelling is making it impossible for that muscle to pull the e-tube valve open. Practice dry will strengthen that muscle and you can feel it to make sure it is activating. Figure out if you have some allergies or a cold or ?, fix it and you should be good.

and get a proper mask and snorkel.

Reactions: xristos
What is hands free EQ?

This is where tip #1 (in this case #2) comes in.. It's very important for your safety once you start breath-hold diving that you have the proper base knowledge and information required to be a safe & competent freediver. You'll also enjoy it much much more. Imagine learning and training properly to dive to 20-30- or even +40m, having diving-buddies who know what they're doing and can help you grow, and a deeper understanding of the risks.. ETC.

I feel the muscle and when I do it I can hear a cricking sound in both ears. More from the right ear. This year was hard to dive because of that left ear.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT