• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Research about accidents

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FRANSU

Jan 16, 2018
Hi,

I am doing a study for a Master research (University of Lyon, France) in the prevention of accidents in sports. My subject is about accidents in deep freediving and I need the help of the community in my research. It is specifically about deep freediving, not spearfishing.

First I need to list the most famous cases, and I have until now the following ones:
  1. NATALIA MOLCHANOVA
  2. GUILLAUME NERY
  3. AUDREY MESTRE
  4. STEPHEN KEENAN
  5. NICHOLAS MEVOLI
  6. TANYA STREETER
  7. HERBERT NITSCH
  8. LOIC LEFERME

If you know any other case thank you for telling me here.

My main resources concerning freediving accidents & incidents are DAN and Divewise. If you know anything that could help me getting more statistics, reports, detailed cases, testimonies, witnesses, etc thank you to contact me here or send me an email at gozolidays@gmail.com

In Memory of those who left us too early and to participate in the prevention of incidents & accidents, Thank you very much.

All the best,

François

AIDA website here is the detailed report by AIDA for Stephen Keenan's accident

Sent from my HTC One_E8 using Tapatalk

AIDA website here is the detailed report by AIDA for Stephen Keenan's accident

Oh wait... Can i add links here xD anyways its in the website. Hope that helps

Oh wait... Can i add links here xD anyways its in the website. Hope that helps

Thank you A. Naish, I found the page in Aida website. That was very helpful. Thank you very much

Carlos coste had a serous DCS, Michal Risian lost the descent line during a comp and came up on a distant warmup line. Alexey Molchanov (not sure about finding written accounts, I heard about this from Steve Keenan) struggled with reverse blocks in the past and had a few deep (35-42m) vertigo enduced blackouts.

Thank you Nathan, yes I find hard to find any written accounts or reports... I think there is still a lot to do in this regard. This forum is very helpful, as well as DAN, DIVEWISE... and AIDA with Keenan's report...

Based on the fact there is little published info about this (even AIDA struggles to publish info) i'd suggest contacting people you can directly.

Yes thank you, I look for people who can report any incident or accident about deep freediving. I appreciate your message Papa Smurf, that confirm what I think too, that there aren't much info on that subject, which is quite logical, we don't want people to get scared for no reason. However we could all benefit from others experience. I had a conversation with the person who published the DAN reports (breath-hold workshop proceedings), very nice guy who advise me to get in contact also with the scientific community, but in my uiversity there aren't much freedivers... Thank you so much if anyone has any contact or info!

Reactions: A.Naish
FRANSU said:
I'm looking for reports, statistics, case studies and other materials on freediving accidents. I need to interview people who can report cases; I had a conversation with a customwritingcompany publisher of DAN reports on the breath-hold workshop information...

---
Quote is abridged
---

Hi François,
I'm doing my research on freediving death rates and I need help with the cases too. Dmitriy Ross is on my list too, but I will need some more cases.
I will also write about breath-hold dive incidents in my second research paper (later). Any valid resources? Thanks.

FRANSU said:
I'm looking for reports, statistics, case studies and other materials on freediving accidents. I need to interview people who can report cases; I had a conversation with a customwritingcompany publisher of DAN reports on the breath-hold workshop information...

---
Quote is abridged
---

Hi François,
I'm doing my research on freediving death rates and I need help with the cases too. Dmitriy Ross is on my list too, but I will need some more cases.
I will also write about breath-hold dive incidents in my second research paper (later). Any valid resources? Thanks.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT