• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving resorts in Maldives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Santiago

May 1, 2003
Hello!

I am planning a trip to Maldives and I was hoping for some advice. I am looking for a resort that has good freediving nearby. I am going with my wife and I am not allowed to spend all day freediving on my own! So a good house reef with small or no currents and decent depth seems my best bet.

I have done a few searches here and island_sands (who I reckon knows the Maldives well) seemed to recommend the Taj Coral Reef as one of the best freediving resorts.

Any ideas would be very very helpful.

Many thanks in advance, kind regards,
Santiago

Last edited:
Santiago,

I went once to Biyadhoo, which is a small and quiet. The house reef is great for freediving, and drops to 20/25m.

Many thanks Fabrice. Feedback greatly appreciated.

I am considering Filitheyo as quite good for what I am after.

hi Santiago, sorry I am a bit late in replying.

How deep do you want? If you are looking for some comfortable dives to 23metre, then Taj Coral is great as it as a wreck that lies at that depth (Hembadhu wreck) and you can swim to it safely from the beach.

I went to Eriyadhu resort last year. their house reef is FANTASTIC to say the least, and you can also get about 20-25metres. You need to watch for currents though, as you will drift - so dont leave your towel on the beach as it will be a long walk to pick it up again rofl

Ellaidhoo has a deep house reef as well but there again the currents can get you now and again.

I would recommend either of the two resorts above, as they are both "sandals off" resorts, you can relax totally and they both have a great spa ;) (try the chocolate body wrap at Eriyadhu mmmm)

Hi Santiago,

I have been to two Maldives resorts: Filitheo and Kuredu - and I'd rate them both as pretty good for freediving.

Filitheo is small and intimate with really friendly staff. The house reef goes right around the island and is often barely a gentle 25m swim from the shore. Depth is about 25m and there are loads of little caves and overhangs to explore. Beware of the Titan Triggerfish though -they don't take kindly to 'intruders' swimming into their cave during breeding season. I've heard that since I visited they've sunk an old boat as an artifical reef, so that might be fun to explore.

Kuredu is a much bigger island and what it lacks in intimacy it makes up for in the choice of bars and restaurants and social life - the weekly hermit crab 'races' are a huge laugh. Kuredu's house reef on the lagoon side is not as good as Filitheo's. However there is a nice wreck that lies at 45 degrees against the reef wall - bow at 4m, stern at 22m. Great to explore and you can swim under the keel where it leans against the reef. If you go at dusk you can say hello to the resident Napoleon Wrasse. On the other side of the island and a 300m swim away is another reef. This is the outer reef of the whole atoll and according to a chart in the hotel, it is a more-or-less vertical drop to 1800m. An amazing reef with the chance to see some serious 'big stuff' swimming by. Still not too sure if the two grey-tipped reef sharks who buzzed me at 18m were merely curious or eyeing the menu. Do watch out for the current - it is very strong around parts of the island and you can easily travel a lot further than you planned.

If you are into scuba, both islands have very good dive centres.

I'd happily go back to either resort, but if pressed for a choice, I'd probably say Filitheo.

Wherever you go, hope you have a great time.

Ian.

Thank you very much Ian and island_sands for your feedback and suggestions.

Taking also the family plans into consideration, we have finally chosen Angsana Ihuru. We are leaving tomorrow!

I will report back on my return, so there is a good thread on where to freedive on Maldives for others to benefit from.

Thank you very much Ian and island_sands for your feedback and suggestions.

Taking also the family plans into consideration, we have finally chosen Angsana Ihuru. We are leaving tomorrow!

I will report back on my return, so there is a good thread on where to freedive on Maldives for others to benefit from.

Angsana Ihuru! wow!!! very nice indeed. say hi to the Maldives for me, i miss it soooo much :(

If you are planning a trip to Maldives and looking for a resort then OCEANIC VILLAGE is the best option for you. It is cheap, comfortable.

In-room amenities include:
-Individually controlled air conditioning
-32” Plasma TV
-Minibar
-Bathrobe and slippers
-Personal safe
-Hairdryer
-220V
-Tea and coffee-making facilities

Attachments

• 1400003057_1_P2240282.jpg
    1400003057_1_P2240282.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 217
If you are planning a trip to Maldives and looking for a resort then OCEANIC VILLAGE is the best option for you. It is cheap, comfortable.

In-room amenities include:
-Individually controlled air conditioning
-32” Plasma TV
-Minibar
-Bathrobe and slippers
-Personal safe
-Hairdryer
-220V
-Tea and coffee-making facilities
I think he's looking for the best freediving area.
Cheers

Sent from my HTC One_E8 using Tapatalk

Angsana Ihuru! wow!!! very nice indeed. say hi to the Maldives for me, i miss it soooo much :(
Hello im from Maldives and how about a second visit? : ) If your up let me know, i MIGHT be able to provide you with accommodation and all in a LOCAL island with good diving areas.
Cheers

Sent from my HTC One_E8 using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT