• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Scotland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

William Mealyea

Apr 8, 2010
Hi

I am new to Freediving and I am looking for a budy to dive with. I stay in the west coast of scotland, Ayr. I cant seem to find anyone in scotland who is into Freediving :-(

William

You may have to travel or convert friends i have had the same problem a few times.Have you checked to see if there are any dive clubs in the general area?

I am a member of a Scuba Diving club but noone is in to freediving. I think they would all feel it is dangerous and silly. I think freediving is generaly missunderstood.

Bring some interesting gear to a local pool at different times, is a nice way to open up conversation and build new contacts. You could also post an add there on their message board. And indeed be invited to a scuba club and share your knowledge and experience will also help.
The Scottish are usually portrait as a 'cheap' living people, just as the Dutch, maybe they find it attractive to know you can have great fun without much of the gear needed for regular scuba diving?
I can see a future of a Scottish games including the art of freediving, well maybe not as for the regular Scottish games are geared to tall strong men :D

Maybe you want to describe your diving area? Is it suitable for some competition? Is it good for recreational diving? Spearfishing? Currents, seasons, temperature, visibility?

Opening a little website with a title like "Freediving Scotland" would attract people too.

Godspeed!

Kars

Reactions: nz676
Hi there,

I am completely new to this whole sport as well, but definitely like the idea of it. I live in Edinburgh, so not too great for diving, but I'm willing to travel a bit if it means meeting with like minded people.

If any sort of group looks like forming, then count me in. Feel free to send me a message.

Ben

Freedive with me in the Sound of Mull. I'm looking for a training buddy up here on the West side, so drop me an email and we can arrange a freediving session... Cheers, Ivan.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi guys,
I am a massive spearo in the dorset area and am moving to Scotland, West Coast side maybe near troon/ayr. How is it to spear fish there?

Hey William!!

Im very keen to get into free diving. I live in Glasgow at the moment but am out in South Africa at the moment. my friend over here is the free diving female camp of SA and today we went out free diving with cow sharks it was incredible!! Its the first time i have done it and im hooked and want to get into it when i go back to Scotland. Sure it wont be quite the same with visibility, sea life etc but am keen to improve. Im a surfer so comfy in the water!!

My email is fwaar@hotmail.com, drop me an email if your still keen!

Nikki

Hi

I am new to Freediving and I am looking for a budy to dive with. I stay in the west coast of scotland, Ayr. I cant seem to find anyone in scotland who is into Freediving :-(

William

Hi William, if you are still looking then let me know as I also am looking for a buddy to freedive with. I am near Stirling. I am returning to freediving after a couple of years absence.

Dave

Cool looks likee there is a few of us in and around each other that are looking for people to go with. Im flying back to UK tonight from SA after lots of diving so im amped to get back in the water! Maybe somewhat colder though!
If you guys are keen to get in touch and start the ball rolling with diving give me a shout on nikkileadbetter@hotmail.com or fwaar@hotmail.com

Cheers, Nikki

Cool looks likee there is a few of us in and around each other that are looking for people to go with. Im flying back to UK tonight from SA after lots of diving so im amped to get back in the water! Maybe somewhat colder though!
If you guys are keen to get in touch and start the ball rolling with diving give me a shout on nikkileadbetter@hotmail.com or fwaar@hotmail.com

Cheers, Nikki

Hi Nikki, Thanks for the reply. Email on it's way.

Dave

Hi,

I am new to the forum and also to Freediving but am interested about the sport and would like to give it a go as I don't surf as much these days.

But I am completely new so would consider doing a course first. Does anyone have any suggestions about a course available near by? I would be keen for a chat about the sport also over an ale or two if someone would be interested?

Cheers

John

Hi John

I would recommend doing a course, while freediving is very very safe if you are trained in the sport, it can bvery dangerous if you are not aware of the potential risks and how to avoid them. I did a course with a guy called Steve Millard at aquatech dive school in Manchester. He is in a lot of peoples opinion the best instructor in the country and he is great at putting you in contact with other divers. When I did my course with him it was around the £250 mark which for 3 days training is excellent. Dont quote me on that price I cant remembr exactly what I paid but it ws around that figure. Where are you based? I would be happy to meet up with you for a chat. I think Steve is out of the country this week but I will private message you his number and you can give him a bell.

William

Reactions: apneaboy
Yes, Steve Millard is brill, :)

I'm back Will, give me a shout and we will get you out some more.

I'm even more motivated than when I went, I will arrange a trip ooop North to one of the North lakes or scalloping before winter kicks in.

Steve
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: jay cluskey
Hi, I does anyone go spear fishing in Scotland? I have just moved here from down south and would hate all my kit to go to waste. I would be thrilled to hear from anyone who does it or anyone who knows anyone who spears fish? Cheers!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey Slimyeel,
Millard is a top bloke/instructor

I MAY be moving up to Dundee next summer to start another course at Uni and have already been looking at World Sea Fishing forums and Google earth to find where the likely fishing spots are. I know of 12lb bass taken this year from the Mull of Gallway in the West. One of my sisters friends used to spearfish in the NE of England 2-3 years and reported catches of Cod/Ling/Pollock/Coalies so the fish are there, I think the main problem on the East coast will be finding the viz.

Dave

Reactions: apneaboy
Hey Slimyeel,
Millard is a top bloke/instructor

I MAY be moving up to Dundee next summer to start another course at Uni and have already been looking at World Sea Fishing forums and Google earth to find where the likely fishing spots are. I know of 12lb bass taken this year from the Mull of Gallway in the West. One of my sisters friends used to spearfish in the NE of England 2-3 years and reported catches of Cod/Ling/Pollock/Coalies so the fish are there, I think the main problem on the East coast will be finding the viz.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am near Glasgow airport.... My kit is still down South but should be going to get it in a weeks or so time... Keep me posted about your course next summer cos its always good to have a dive buddy :)
Cheers
Grant

Hi Grant,

I would be happy to dive with you mate, what is you experience etc, have you done any offical training. I am based in Kilmarnock. Feel free to priva message me yur number and I can give you a call.

I have done my AIDA 2* and am looking for someone local to train an dive with. At the moment I travel down south to dive.Im in a group called apniest U.K.

William

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT