• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving / spearfishing in Vancouver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kimi

Sep 28, 2004
Hi,

I will be spending quite a lot of time in BC (Mainly Vancouver) over the next three years since i'm doing my P hD in biology there.

I'm trying to find people to dive and / or spearfish with in the Vancouver region. Please Help!

Kimi Finland/Canada

I am sure you will easily get introduced to the whole crew out here (BC), so just let us know when you are in town and you will get sorted out. ;)

There are lots of areas to dive and a scattering of people in various parts. The core population is in Vancouver though.

Cheers,

Tyler

Thanks for your replies!

Veronika: I've tried to e-mail Freedive vancouver but without success...

Erik: Thanks I shall consider joning that mailing list! Nice pike pic on your site!
The pike season is getting better all the time here in Finland. I checked out a good spot on monday and did see some fair sized pike but the water still has to clear up a bit so that you see them before i´t's too late.

We still have one competition this year and I think pike will be the majority of the catch.

Keep on sending contacts and good spearfishing stuff.

Cheers

-Kimi

Hi everybody,
My name is George Balbino, a keen and experienced Brazilian spearfisherman living in London, UK. I will be visiting Vancouver shortly and would like to know what the spearfishing is like in the area. Depth is not a problem, so I am looking for a kind soul out there to shed some light on the spearing in the area, locations, operators, etc.
Any information is much appreciated.
Look forward to hearing from the forum.
Best regards,
George

georgebalbino said:
Hi everybody,
My name is George Balbino, a keen and experienced Brazilian spearfisherman living in London, UK. I will be visiting Vancouver shortly and would like to know what the spearfishing is like in the area. Depth is not a problem, so I am looking for a kind soul out there to shed some light on the spearing in the area, locations, operators, etc.
Any information is much appreciated.
Look forward to hearing from the forum.
Best regards,
George
Please reply to georgebalbino@aol.com

hi, I just found this site.... I know that the emails are from las year, but I wander if there is anybody still there.
my name is carlos, from peru, spearfishing diver, my gear is coming in one week to vancouver, I'am planning to live here, so I must get into this ocean. if somebody knows anything please tell me
carlos_aller@hotmail.com
thaks very much

Hey guys,

Spearfishing in the immediate area around Vancouver is not done much since most of the fisheries for spearable fish are closed. Out on the west coast of vancouver island or north of vancouver island is the best bet for it. Feel free to contact me here in private if you want a contact when you arrive.

Tyler

thanks for your reply tyler, it feels great to know that at least there are possibilities to practice spearfishing in the north pacific. I saw the pictures in your web page, they are really good, in most of them the water is pretty clear, and gives me a good idea of what I am going to find.. I went to light house park two weeks ago to have a look from the rocks.... the water looked very dark.
where do you think I should go for my first inmersion, and have a great time, not for spearfishing but for freediving?.... I am starting to getting bored of the bottom of the UBC pool, I really need the ocean.

Actually Lighthouse Park used to be one of my favourite retreats before I began diving. I would like to dive there one day. That is actually where I first attempted to dive before I knew anything about diving.

Good places around vancouver are whiteclyfe park, porteau cove, Ansell Point, Calvin's Grove, Indian Arm, etc...

The best diving is on Vancouver Island or in the surrounding islands, or along the sunshine coast. I am working every day straight for the rest of the month, so I won't be available for diving, but after that maybe we can, otherwise there are quite a few divers in Vancouver. Have you met any yet?

Mero and Kimi,
I live in Yellowknife now while working on a start to my flying career, so I can't personally meet with you and 'show what I know'. But I am from Vancouver and have a suggestion for you, provided you don't mind travelling a bit and taking the weekend to do it.

My all time favourite area is Desolation Sound. Within this locale there are lots of appealing options to explore in the form of reefs, caves, rocky shorelines and ledges, etc. All with the bonus of warmer summer water temps than most of the Georgia Strait. Access starts at the north end of the Sunshine Coast from Lund. Kayak rentals are available nearby. It is boat access only, which is not a drawback anyways. It's the only way to see the many great spots for freediving in the area. At night, you can commonly swim with the glow of phosphorescence. Quite a trip if you've never experienced it before! Camping is a simple matter of picking a spot on shore wherever you like, essentially. Grab the nautical chart(s) and check it out!

Welcome to Canada. :wave
Clarke

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT