• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving vs. SCUBA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rfondren

Aug 10, 2005
Whilst I'm attempting to stir the pot, why so much tension between free divers and scuba? I do both, and usually get along with myself OK.

Reactions: feign
rfondren said:
Whilst I'm attempting to stir the pot, why so much tension between free divers and scuba? I do both, and usually get along with myself OK.

rofl rofl welcome to DB :D

The only tension I have noticed was between breath-hold-spearos and scuba-spearos. :D

rfondren said:
thanks for the welcome, and the reply. I just hope to remain welcome!

where are you posting from? you are always welcome... :D

there are loads of great people here and normally few arguments..

Peace :),
Sara from Dubai

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=559375#post559375"]Spearfishing: Good or Bad? - Page 7[/ame]

Read through that :hmm

Its all about Group A not understanding why Group B don't see how unreasonable and shortsighted their (Group B) views are. In the meantime Group B thinks Group A is being unreasonable and shortsighted... :mute

oh and theres various people trying to be reasonable which seems to annoy both A and B rofl

LOL I didnt know there was any tension between scuba divers and free divers, has someone done something rofl
Like octopus says, spearo's yes but not the mainstream sports. Anyway welcome to DB :)

rfondren said:

I also do both, i find the only way i can release the internal tension that it causes is to beat myself every day, well at least thats my excuse

Welcome to D.B

Crusty

Wow, welcome to DB and what a great way to get your first post locked! hopefully this one will stay warm and fuzzy....

I love both, but honestly ascending from 20m (my deepest) I want air more than I want to want air. Anybody know what I mean?

That's the beauty of it....you have never appreciated the breath of life like you do as a freediver.

Perhaps, but still a little unpleasant for me. Of course not enough to stop, as it's all I did for a long time before scuba certification.

rfondren said:
Perhaps, but still a little unpleasant for me. Of course not enough to stop, as it's all I did for a long time before scuba certification.

I think that that is a common experience in freediving. Holding one's breath on land is uncomfortable, although I feel disinhibited to try, as I trust that should I lose conciousness, the instinct to breathe will carry me through. Prior to taking up freediving my top breathholds were probably around 2:00. I had never heard of thoracic contractions and certainly would not have speculated that a person could continue to hold there breath and relax while experiencing them. Now experiencing contractions at 20m and knowing that if you decided right then that you couldn't hold your breath any more, you would be left to choose between the impossible and drowning; that's something distinctly unpleasant. And yet, I and a number of other people find ourselves doing this day after day after week after month after season.

For me, I think it is the challenge of overcoming my own assumptions about reality. I like the idea of being in total control of myself. Yoga appeals to me. My super heroes are not supermen, but mere mortals pushing the limits. There are versions of SCUBA diving that are completely equivalent. People diving air @ 200 feet are riding that same tightrope. They are doing something that requires them to overcome instinct and resist any urge to panic. Really and truly panic at any depth on SCUBA could easily be fatal. Freediving I tend to view as slighlty less dangerous meter for meter. Still I enjoy them both.

Reactions: DeepThought
JasonWelbourne said:
People diving air @ 200 feet are riding that same tightrope. .

excecpt deep air is STUPID. nothing heroic about it. deep air is reserved for the uneducated and those with a death wish.

I too enjoy the battle for control that freediving permits, something the average scuba diver could never begin to understand

Diving to 200 feet on air in this day and age is a risk to many, years ago we had no alternative (sports divers) and dives of this nature were comomplace, Ive done a couple of dozen myself but the thing was, one didnt just jump in and do them, they took weeks of practice, planning and nitrogen aclimatisation and even then people ran into problems

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT