• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Wetsuit for SCUBA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MichaelNW

Nov 15, 2011
It seems like freediving wetsuits are warmer and more flexible than the normal scuba wetsuit. I know there is an issue with the abrasion of the scuba gear, but it seems like a covered outside would take care of that. Can someone with experience enlighten me?

It seems like freediving wetsuits are warmer and more flexible than the normal scuba wetsuit. I know there is an issue with the abrasion of the scuba gear, but it seems like a covered outside would take care of that. Can someone with experience enlighten me?
If you are going down that route, how about a spearo suit with open cell on the inside and a fabric outside that will withstand the abrasion from all your gear?

Reactions: Mr. X
If you are going down that route, how about a spearo suit with open cell on the inside and a fabric outside that will withstand the abrasion from all your gear?
That sounds like a great idea. Does anyone have experience doing that?

The freediving suit is warmer and more flexible due to the use of more elastic neoprene, which will be negatively affected by the relatively prolonged pressure at depth typical of scuba diving.
When used with a freediving scuba diving suit, the suit's neoprene degrades quickly.

We have many customers who use our freedive suits for scuba diving. They work well and hold up under this application.

You will loose thickness very fast. That's the main problem using freediving wetsuits when scuba diving and that's why the neoprene of the scuba wetsuits is harder/less flexible.

You can use it eventually, but if you do constantly, you'll eventually end up with a very thin wetsuit that doen't keep you warm.

Spearo suits typically have no zips but I suppose you could order one with zips. They typically need to be lubed before you wrestle them on, although special lube-free linings are available at extra cost which some forum members like.

Trim your finger nails or risk gouging the soft, open cell interior with little Cresent-shaped cuts when you put the suit on or take it off.

As others have already said harder neoprenes ate usually used for SCUBA suits, to better retain loft (insulation) when staying down for extended periods. Maker Eliossub pointed this out to me when I ordered my first made-to-measure spearo wetsuit, their point being that there inexpensive Ecoline neoprene is more than adequate for spearing; their fancier more expensive neoprenes are aimed at SCUBA divers. Ecoline is not that soft or stretchy compared to off-the-shelf spearo suits though.

If you want a suit exclusively for SCUBA (?), wouldn't a dry suit make more sense? "Horses for courses". A former colleague and friend was a PADI instructor instructor (i.e. he trained other instructors) and he used a dry suit as he could wear warm clothing inside it e.g. a sweatshirt!.

Last edited:
Spearo suits typically have no zips but I suppose you could order one with zips. They typically need to be lubed before you wrestle them on, although special lube-free linings are available at extra cost which some forum members like.

Trim your finger nails or risk gouging the soft, open cell interior with little Cresent-shaped cuts when you put the suit on or take it off.

As others have already said harder neoprenes ate usually used for SCUBA suits, to better retain loft (insulation) when staying down for extended periods. Maker Eliossub pointed this out to me when I ordered my first made-to-measure spearo wetsuit, their point being that there inexpensive Ecoline neoprene is more than adequate for spearing; their fancier more expensive neoprenes are aimed at SCUBA divers. Ecoline is not that soft or stretchy compared to off-the-shelf spearo suits though.

If you want a suit exclusively for SCUBA (?), wouldn't a dry suit make more sense? "Horses for courses". A former colleague and friend was a PADI instructor instructor (i.e. he trained other instructors) and he used a dry suit as he could wear warm clothing inside it e.g. a sweatshirt!.
I have a 7mm DACOR scuba two piece. Going to be buying a freediving wetsuit. If the freediving wetsuit is warmer and more flexible than the scuba wetsuit, I was interested to know if it would work for scuba. I am aware of the donning fragility and difficulty, but I am willing to be careful. The suits I am looking at have a fabric exterior, but I don't know if that exterior will hold up to scuba gear.

I am aware of dry suits. Most divers in the US PNW wear them. I am not very cold prone, so giving up mobility to a dry suit is not too appealing. I have considered NEOTEK 8/7/6 V2 SEMI-DRY.

I have a 7mm DACOR scuba two piece. Going to be buying a freediving wetsuit. If the freediving wetsuit is warmer and more flexible than the scuba wetsuit, I was interested to know if it would work for scuba. I am aware of the donning fragility and difficulty, but I am willing to be careful. The suits I am looking at have a fabric exterior, but I don't know if that exterior will hold up to scuba gear.

I am aware of dry suits. Most divers in the US PNW wear them. I am not very cold prone, so giving up mobility to a dry suit is not too appealing. I have considered NEOTEK 8/7/6 V2 SEMI-DRY.
there should be no issues with the exterior of the suit for scuba diving. MAKO sells spearo suits with knee pads btw.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT