• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Greg22

Jun 28, 2006
G'day all,

I am new to this forum but am an avid snorkeller and scuba diver. I am not really interested in freediving to the extent of diving to the deepest depth i can but rather, enjoying the sea for as long as i can without the use of scuba.

I saw an amazing documentry about a dolphin named stefania who was kept for 11 years in a poorly maintained aquarium. Marine biologists then attempted to move her into the wild and rehabilitate her. Whilst watching this, i was introduced to umberto pellizzaro. What amazed me was how long he spent underwater exploring the marine life. He was exploring for a good 4-5 minutes at a time. This is what i want to be able to do.

Any help that you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Hiya Greg

Welcome to the forums, you've found the most valuable learning place avaliable for freedivers anywhere! It's always great to have seen something that inspires you to freedive, and you will find that the more you get involved, the more your ideas will evolve and adjust to this great sport.
As an opening piece of advice, I would say forget about how long you spend underwater.:D Thats a path than can lead to frustration. Just focus on having fun, and letting your body and mind adapt to apnea, and the clock will take care of it'self! :D
Good luck!

Jeff

Thanks Bluecape.

Your absolutely right. Its all about having fun. I love it because it lets me get away from city life and be as close to nature as possible. Its absolutely amazing and i get more and more amazed, every time i go.

At the moment, i cant afford to be scuba diving all the time but i make it a point to go out and snorkel every weekend. Would go crazy without it.

Hi Greg,
jeff is bang on enjoy and don't get caught up on stats. To help your training read through this thread if you haven't already.
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=64959"]How to start Freediving[/ame]

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT