• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

French Polynesia Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Plymobil

Jun 2, 2010
Hello Guys,

my name is Andreas and i`m from germany.

I´m planning a spearfishing trip to french polynesia in 2011.

- Which area is good for spearfishing (just some good fish for eating)?

-Does anybody know a place there where i can rent a boat (have a european licence for boats)?

I would like to go in Feb. or March, is this a good time?

Can i use 5mm wetsuits or is it better to use 3mm or less?

If somebody has some informations where i can get a appartment or small house with a boat please let me know.

Thanks very much and Regards

Andreas

Sorry I can't help you.
But welcome to db.
I'm sure someone will be able to help.

What is your experience level, do you want reef diving or blue water ?

Cheers, Don Paul

@ devondave

thanks for the welcome! It is a nice forum here!

@ Don Paul

untill now i have only experience in reef spearfishing in mediterranean sea.
The depth i can use shoudn`t be much more than 20m (60ft).

Thanks

Plymobil

I was just in Tikehau (Dec 26 - Jan 7) and it was absolutely amazing.

Some of the best reef diving is done around the pass areas on the atolls as its where the ocean comes in and out of the lagoon on the tides. Dive each side of the pass (ocean side). The reef is full of life. Travally, parrot fish, snapper and more. Hit it at sunrise or an hour or so before sunset and you might find dogtooth tuna. Flashers are key to bringing in the pelagics. I wouldn't recommend burly unless you love sharks taking your fish.

Lots of reef sharks diving with you at all times. Black tip, white tip, sometimes greys. They can be aggressive but all they want is your fish. Sometimes they approach closely to check you out but usually just go on there way. Stand your ground but give them respect and they'll leave you be. Don't jab them with your spear as they have been known to circle back and bite in retaliation. They are beautiful creatures and amazing to watch. Just get your fish out of the water asap and you will be fine.

I don't think they rent boats as the lagoon is full of hidden coral heads and navigation in the area is sketchy if you're not familiar.

You don't need anything more than a 1.5mm suit. Water is in the low to mid 80's (F) year round. It's nice to have something on for protection from the sun and so you can lay on the coral... just watch for the huge moray eels.

Best bet is to contact the spearo charter Don Paul mentioned in his post. They'll put you on the fish and keep you safe.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
Hi, I was in French Polynesia during the summer gone. such an amazing place, hardly a day goes by when i dont think about it.

Where are you planning to go?? If your on bora bora look up a place to stay called "chez nono", its so so nice and right on the lagoon. A short kayak ride out to a coral garden will give you opportunity to catch plenty of fish (although i have no idea of the legalities of it). The larger fish are outside the reefs... Along with the larger sharks. I dove with some 6ft lemon sharks, amazing, and as someone else said, the blacktips are everywhere but relatively harmless.

Let us know where your going and I might be able to advise better.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT