• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

fresh hunter looking to south coast, where do i start?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

merman88

Apr 5, 2010
always loved to swim and dive, free and scuba, but only lately did spearing cross my mind. after getting a mares phantom fv for christmas im aching to get in and get goin (on that note when the hell is summer getting here?) but wasnt sure about good spots to start.

ive not seen much spearable on my few uk dives, usually around kent, and was wondering about some spearing spots for beginners around south coast. after swimming off portland area before im thinking this might be a good place? deep water and loads of rod fishing?

would much appreciate any advice or suggestions, dont really know any spearos being a london boy so need all the help i can get. thanks for reading this far !

Welcome from Texas! I know nothing about your area but post in introductions and greeting! A lot of locals are out there to mentor you. Cheers--adios!

Hello merman, welcome to db.
London's not the best place for spearing in the UK and even the aquarium's crap.
Realistically your looking at the Sussex coast as the nearest place with fish and the chance of some vis'.
I don't think many people spear on the Kent side, the vis' takes too long to clear, but I could be wrong.
The closest site is probably Brighton, though parking can be a nightmare here in the summer. Seaford, Newhaven, all the way to Bognor can produce fish on the right day, Bognor has an extensive reef system and usually has the best chance of good vis'.
There is a Sussex thread Sussex Report 2009 which you may wish to look at, lots of good info' and a few sites to try, the 2010 thread is not running yet but, should start soon.
Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Regards,
Dave.

Reactions: agbiv
Not into spearing myself, but my brother-in-law takes a small boat out from Littlehampton and says he often sees spearos bringing in catches (some with scuba tanks, grr).

I'm aiming to do some freediving off the coast near Bognor/Chichester myself this summer. Interesting to hear the viz near Bognor might be quite good; I'd always imagined it to be very poor.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…