• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fresh meat in Portugal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

herman_smith

Sep 10, 2023
Hi All

Me and my 2 young sons have just arrived on the Silver coast of Portugal from Cape Town South Africa.

I have resolved to revert to my BC past time of surfing but my sons are trying to keep me accountable to free diving & spear fishing.

Are there any divers on here or resources I can be pointed to in terms of spear fishing on the Portuguese coast? We are located close to Lourinhã in the Silver Coast.

TIA

Local Dive Shops: Start by checking out local dive shops. They often have local knowledge, offer spearfishing gear, and may run courses or trips. Regulations: Ensure you're familiar with Portugal's spearfishing regulations to fish sustainably and legally. Online Communities: Websites and forums like "Spearboard" or "DeeperBlue" have international sections where you might find discussions about spearfishing in Portugal. Connect Locally: Try reaching out to local spearfishing or free diving clubs to meet experienced divers in your area. TellTims

Hi All

Me and my 2 young sons have just arrived on the Silver coast of Portugal from Cape Town South Africa.

I have resolved to revert to my BC past time of surfing but my sons are trying to keep me accountable to free diving & spear fishing.

Are there any divers on here or resources I can be pointed to in terms of spear fishing on the Portuguese coast? We are located close to Lourinhã in the Silver Coast.

TIA
Hello there!

As a newby spearfisher from Portugal, I think I can give you some useful tips.
If you want some equipment and someone keen to give you recommendations regarding freediving, Sparus Sub is a very good shop with a very knowledgeable owner (it's in Peniche, quite close to Lourinhã, you can google its website).

Between Ericeira and Peniche, you have a lot os good spots to spearfish nearby, although in most of them it takes some careful choice of good weather days, since many times the weather doesn't allow for spearfishing, especially in the winter.

Some good sources of information I can give are: an YouTube channel called Executive Sub Spearfishing (I don't know if you understand Portuguese but the YouTube's automatic translation should do the trick); another one are spearfishing groups in Facebook, there will be plenty of people there who can give you tips and to arrange some dives with. As expectable, there will also be people there very unwilling to share their secret spots and tips, but that's just half of them. Search for "caça submarina Portugal" on Facebook and ask to be invited.

As for myself, I live near Santarém, around 70km from Peniche, but unfortunately I don't have a driver's license so I only go spearfishing quite occasionally as you can understand.
I'd recommend you look into that shop, that YouTube channel and Facebook group, but either way you'll probably want to get a 5mm or 7mm (if you're less tolerant to cold or want to go in the winter as well) suit, a 75cm simple speargun, and of course a float (it's mandatory). You'll probably need a license, which is just a simple payment in a bank machine (not sure you need to, I think I once heard that foreigners don't need one when they're in the county for less than a certain time, do look into that).
Beware that there are minimum size limits, and that these limits are really not that restrictive, one should be more selective than what these limits suggest (I'll try to attach a file with the limits).

I hope this is helpful, and don't hesitate to ask any specific questions.

Attachments

• Tabela de Tamanhos Mínimos de Captura 04-01-23 (1).pdf
    784.5 KB · Views: 105
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT