• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freshwater pole spearing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Chris W

Jun 27, 2011
Hi,

I am from central Wisconsin, USA and just got into spearfishing. Does any one else spear in the Midwest? Our regs allow us to spear panfish, rock bass, and rough fish. I have only went out twice but I had a blast! Oh! I also make my own spears :)

Attachments

• DSCN06522.jpg
    DSCN06522.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCN0680.jpg
    DSCN0680.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 192
I'm envious man! That looks like a blast. I am still saving up money for my first speargun. In Utah, we can spear pretty much anything as long as it's in the right waters, but you got those with a pole spear? A homemade pole spear? Drool...

Definitely it's super fun! I was able to pick up the materials to make my spears at Fleet Farm for about 20 bucks and i can make two to three spears with that. It's extremely rewarding! Thanks much, and I hope you can start soon spearing is just amazing! :)

Just wondering...
When you pole spear, is the spear attached by a line to your hand or something? Or do you just free shaft? Part of the reason I'm saving up for a speargun is because free shafting is illegal in Utah. Do you think that it is possible to buy a polespear and attach it to a line? That would make my day...

Well I keep it in hand while spearing but you could attach a line to the end of the spear and then to your belt or wrist if you want to make sure you are legal.

Attachments

• DSCN06322.jpg
    DSCN06322.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 177
Oh, I see now. Wow! I'll definitely have to get me a pole spear!
Does that single pronged tip work well for those panfish? Or would a multi-pronged tip (like one of those trident tips) work better? I guess I wouldn't want to desecrate my catch, and that single tip does seem to be gettin' 'em for you :)

Yeah I think that a three prong tip would hold them really good but I think that the single tip does a good job. Plus I haven't figured out a way of making one, lol. As far as damaging meat it really comes down to shot placement. I also have made my own detachable tips. They seem to work really well and don't damage as much meat, so I tend to favor those the most. :)

Looks like you are having some fun there Chris, plenty folk from around your area on the forum.

Yeah thats what I have been noticing and I have defiantly been having a lot of fun.

Thats a hell of a feat to make your own polespear and be accurate enough to get a catch like that! Awesome job.:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT