• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freshwater pole spearing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Chris W

Jun 27, 2011
Hi,

I am from central Wisconsin, USA and just got into spearfishing. Does any one else spear in the Midwest? Our regs allow us to spear panfish, rock bass, and rough fish. I have only went out twice but I had a blast! Oh! I also make my own spears

Attachments

• DSCN06522.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCN0680.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 192
I'm envious man! That looks like a blast. I am still saving up money for my first speargun. In Utah, we can spear pretty much anything as long as it's in the right waters, but you got those with a pole spear? A homemade pole spear? Drool...

Definitely it's super fun! I was able to pick up the materials to make my spears at Fleet Farm for about 20 bucks and i can make two to three spears with that. It's extremely rewarding! Thanks much, and I hope you can start soon spearing is just amazing!

Just wondering...
When you pole spear, is the spear attached by a line to your hand or something? Or do you just free shaft? Part of the reason I'm saving up for a speargun is because free shafting is illegal in Utah. Do you think that it is possible to buy a polespear and attach it to a line? That would make my day...

Well I keep it in hand while spearing but you could attach a line to the end of the spear and then to your belt or wrist if you want to make sure you are legal.

Attachments

• DSCN06322.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 177
Oh, I see now. Wow! I'll definitely have to get me a pole spear!
Does that single pronged tip work well for those panfish? Or would a multi-pronged tip (like one of those trident tips) work better? I guess I wouldn't want to desecrate my catch, and that single tip does seem to be gettin' 'em for you

Yeah I think that a three prong tip would hold them really good but I think that the single tip does a good job. Plus I haven't figured out a way of making one, lol. As far as damaging meat it really comes down to shot placement. I also have made my own detachable tips. They seem to work really well and don't damage as much meat, so I tend to favor those the most.

Looks like you are having some fun there Chris, plenty folk from around your area on the forum.

Yeah thats what I have been noticing and I have defiantly been having a lot of fun.

Thats a hell of a feat to make your own polespear and be accurate enough to get a catch like that! Awesome job.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…