• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freshwater Spearfishing in Finland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

japppo

Jan 3, 2015
Hello,
I want to share a video of my spearfishing session that is among the best I've had so far.
We all have our own standards, but this made my day.

Here's a clip from the Finnish midsummer fest:

Now the perch is smoke and lager is piss.

It's been some good fishing.
Here's a video of my first White Fish catch:

Interesting to see you guys hunting in fresh water, very alien to us UK guys!
I once caught a 5.o1lb perch on a rod.

Hi mates!
I made a compilation of some shooting last summer and posted it on a video competition by Il pescatore in apnea - The Spearfishing HUB. I'd greatly appreciate if I got your support by checking out the video and posting some comments on it.

1. Watch this video embed:

2. Go to the video's youtube page and post a comment: (for example: shitty video)

3. Subscribe to Il pescatore in apnea - The Spearfishing HUB and https://www.youtube.com/salaseivastajat

Each view and comment on the Youtube page adds on the ranking.

Thanks in advance and I hope you enjoy.

Feedback has been few and its greatly appreciated, although I doubt my style will change much...

The first pike hunt this year and the first catch:

Luckily I did not stab myself, although it might seem like I did on the video...

I eat everything I shoot. Here's the starring character getting cooked over an open fire:

Reactions: foxfish
Here's a little bit less of self stabbing action than in the previous pike video:

Fishing is not as easy as it seems, when based on some shooting videos only.

Here's a tasty freshwater bream (Abramis Brama) that was smoked later the same day:

Hi. I'm moving from the UK to Finland in 2018. Could you let me know if there are any laws and licences that I need in order to go spearfishing in the lakes?

Hi,
You need to pay the fisheries management fee, 39€ per year. Here's the link, but it is for 2017 so bear with it...
https://verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi/en/fisheries-management-fee/fisheries-management-fee/
It covers the whole country and open sea.

Then you need a permission from the local fishing cooperative for the lake or area you are going fishing. It can be difficult just to find the contact information of the person in charge. Few lakes have spearfishing licenses, but most often it can be arranged by contacting the person in charge and sometimes you get permission for free. Best is to go to a local pub or gas station and ask for a regular fishing license, someone will know the village chief, hehe. Then explain to the chief what spearfishing is and how difficult and rare it is to catch anything --> free license. Probably they want to know later if you saw any fish at all.

Spearfishing in rivers, rapids, streams or any flowing water is generally forbidden and requires a special license even for anglers.

State owned areas are listed in the website:
http://www.eraluvat.fi/en/fishing/fishing-permits-and-fees/angling-permit/alueet.html?alue=Other areas
For those areas you need the trap license to spearfish
This is the idea, but spearfishing is not mentioned as such:
http://www.eraluvat.fi/en/fishing/fishing-permits-and-fees.html

Not easy, because spearfishing is quite unknown and not always a recognized way to catch fish. Trap license for the lake will keep you covered in any case.

Local diving clubs can help with good spots and contacts.

Do you know where in Finland are you moving? I can try to provide contacts in that area.

Thanks for the information; that's really helpful. I freedive and spearfish regularly in the UK, so would really like to keep the hobby going. We're moving to Helsinki. Do you know any deep lakes in the region? We're looking to train for depth too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT