• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

From Charlotte, NC and excited to start

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PaddyCallahan

May 12, 2017
Hello everyone.

As the title says I am living in Charlotte, NC and I'm about to take a level 1 freediving course. I've always loved the water and have always been comfortable underwater with a decent (for a lack of training) breathhold. I lived for trips to see family down in Florida because my uncle had a boat and always took us to the head springs in crystal river/rainbow river.

A few years ago I got into scuba diving and while I love it there is something about having all that bulky equipment on me that makes me feel less "free"... if that makes sense.

Anyway I decided to take a freediving course and it seems like there was always a reason NOT to take it so I stopped allowing myself excuses. The nearest course to me is Wilmington but I decided that if I'm driving somewhere that I'll have to get a hotel anyway I'll take a couple extra days and go to the Keys. So I'm taking the level one course in June in Marathon. I cannot wait.

I've already lurked the board a little and I have a few questions. Will I really need a wetsuit in the Keys in June? I get that the water will be cooler down deep but I just got back from Punta Cana where I did a two tank dive and wore no wet suit on either dive. I was about 40' deep for about 45 minutes.

How important is it to buy all "freediving" gear for the level 1 course? I have a mask that I love for scuba and my fins are pretty big. I'd like to learn more and try it a few times before I invest in all new gear.

Anyway good to meet you all. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm going to bump this for the non-weekend crowd and give a TL:DR note.

I'm taking my first freediving course in June in the Keys.

1) Will I really need a wetsuit? I recently dove in the Caribbean and didn't use one.

2) Will I be ok with scuba gear for the level 1 freediving course? I don't want to invest in all new equipment until I try it out and see if I like it.

Thanks to all who reply.

Greetings from the West coast! You may be able to get by with some scuba gear, but freediving gear tends to yield better results, especially the fins. Freediving fins are designed to require minimal effort for propulsion, which is a plus. You want to be as efficient as possible to maximize your breath hold.

As for the suit, I would recommend wearing one. It's a warmth issue, but it's also to protect your skin. I don't get in the water without some sort of suit, even if it's a .5mm neoprene one. It might be a class requirement, but that'd be a good question to ask your instructor.

I'm going to bump this for the non-weekend crowd and give a TL:DR note.

I'm taking my first freediving course in June in the Keys.

1) Will I really need a wetsuit? I recently dove in the Caribbean and didn't use one.

2) Will I be ok with scuba gear for the level 1 freediving course? I don't want to invest in all new equipment until I try it out and see if I like it.

Thanks to all who reply.
Hey there!! sorry you got no responses :( I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. i'm in Wilmington, so we are close-ish to each other. How did your class go?

Hey there!! sorry you got no responses :( I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. i'm in Wilmington, so we are close-ish to each other. How did your class go?

It went ok... the classroom part and the pool part got completed but no boats went out because the water was too rough. I didn't even get any scuba diving in that weekend. It's a sad trip to the keys when you don't get to go in the ocean... but we still had fun.

Then I planned to go down there to do the checkout dive in early September, but that got cancelled bc of the hurricane. I may head out to Wilmington to get it done at some point, there are a couple places out there that do it.

So if you guys didn’t go into the ocean, you weren’t able to get certified?

That's right. The course is similar to SCUBA; there's a classroom, pool and open water component.

I’ve never done scuba, but have taken a level 1 freediving class. So what happens now? Do you retake the open water portion with the same instructor? Did they refund your money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT