• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Frontal bone protection ;)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jcd

Jan 25, 2004
Hi!

I dive in COLD Norway where the waters are aprox. 4 degrees celsius during the coldest months :duh !

Therefor we need suits with goood face protection. So far only Spora Sub Diablo has satisfyed our needs. See attached picture, sporasub is the black suit, the green suit is not so good for us since we will suffer tremendus pain in the frontal bone :waterwork

A "cold water hood" is not good either, its to tight!

Have anyone tryed/seen other suits with good face protection?

Best regards
Jacob

Attachments

• sporasub2.jpg
    sporasub2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 489
Suit with To-Big-Face

-

Attachments

• tigullio2.jpg
    tigullio2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 469
Thanks for your digging ;)

But as you could see from the Spora Sub picture, there is no need for a ice cap! The suit have a so small opening around the face that almost everything is covered. I've dived with that suit 2-3 hours in water holder 4 degrees celsius.

So i just wonder if there are any other brands than spora sub producing suits with small opening in the face area!

Best regards
Jacob

In 4C water I last for 10 minutes without my wetsuit....

No face protector either...nice to feel the water flowing over your body...

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

jcd, i think you'll find the technical term for this condition is "ice cream headache" :D

the hood of my wetsuits (Picasso) come down to the top of my mask. even on the rare occasions i use goggles in 5-6C i still don't get icecream headaches. not sure why?... maybe i've just gotten used to it, or i expose myself to the water gradually. head down for a few seconds, head up, head down for a bit longer etc.

a friend of mine has altered one of his suit by glueing a crescent shaped piece of neoprene to the forehead, so that it covers the forehead... worth a try if you have some spare neoprene. the suit may look a little odd... but that may the price you pay for not having ice cream headaches.

try the gradual exposure first...

Originally posted by efattah
In 4C water I last for 10 minutes without my wetsuit....

No face protector either...nice to feel the water flowing over your body...

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Coming from a more temperate climate, I gotta say "You're crazy!" :D

I'm so spoiled, I still get cold in Hawaiian waters with my 3-mil Picasso :( You can imagine my shock coming to dive up here in NorCal. :head

The Henderson ice cap covers all bases for me. It fits very well under my Super-Comp wetsuit.

As far as other suits go, my Picasso comes down further on my forehead than my Esclapez or my Cressi.

Jon

Last edited:
I have a Picasso and hve been very happy with it. I have a reasonably fat head and it covers lower face and upper extremely well. Mine is a 3mm farmer john and during early novermber I did some alpine lake freediving just as the ice was covering up the lake and had no problems with 'ice cream headache' sympotoms. I was guessing the H2O temp to be around the mid to high 30's and was able to stay in the water for just over 1 hour; and when I did get out it was more because it got dark, granted I was not the warmest I've ever been....not too bad for a 3mm and me. I am looking at getting a thick suit for early spring, late fall diving and would definitley buy another Picasso.

If you have any Q's about them, Roger at www.picassoamerica.com is a great resource as he helped me with my choice. I also believe deepblue has a large line and with good prices...... I have NOT used any other brand so I have nothing to compare it with. I'd take Jon and unirdna's opinion into though as looking by their pics and video do quite a bit of the cold cold stuff.

Well anyway, good luck at finding what is right for you.

Justin

Hey Jacob,

I have just received my new suits from Elios and can say that the finish on these suits is awesome. Even down to a proper place on the hood to fit your chin. I have never been able to wear any of my hoods over my chin as it slips off, but with this suit the problem is resolved.

I am sure they will be able to tailor a suit exactly to your specifications.

CRAZY GUYS ?

I think you are all completely out of your minds, except for Eric Fattah.

Paul Kotik
Florida , USA

CRAZY GUYS ?

I think you are all completely out of your minds, except for Eric Fattah.

Paul Kotik
Florida , USA

We are ALL crazy. Some just crazier than others.

regards

Crazier than thou..

Skin.

Jon what ml suit do you have on? I am in Pa and looking for a suit. I found a 3 ml Oneal at Sam's for 35$ thought about buying it. Do you have any suggestions for a freshwater gun and salt water for in Pennsylvania? Can see pretty far -20-30'.

You guys are crazy! I thought I waas crazy hunting coyotes at midnight with temp -10F?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT