• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gar lakes?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BaerClaw

Carp Killa
Jun 16, 2007
Anyone know of any good lakes for Gar? i still have not seen one under the water yet, its been a goal of mine to get one on spear!

sorry but the worm days this week has gotten me all pump for ice out, i know ive still got some time! haha :friday

i wish we had alligator gar up here!

Lake Mendota has them. I've seen them in other lakes as well, but Mendota has the most I've ever seen in one body of water.

Jon

i think they are more of a river fish. we saw them occasionaly in mississippi river, and in one spot on minnesota river ive seen a kid that can catch them one after another using small sunfish...bythe way. there are some very limited spots on the mississippi river that are clear enough for freediving. study varrous creeks and feeder rivers in your area. find one that is clear occassionaly and you might have a chance at seeing your gar.....my goal is the american eel. it is one of the only local fish i have never seen(that and the rare blue sucker)

Lake Poygan, and to a lesser extent the rest of the winnebago chain, has gar, but I don't know if the visability is ever good enough to dive.

thanks jon ill look into Mendota ive been wanting to dive in the madison area so that will be a good start.

duckinator- im going to google earth poygan lake i dont know much about it! thanks

popolarbear- i went to school right on the the mississippi and your right theres lots of gar but vary dark water. all the lakes in that area connect to the river and ive been tolled have gar but i never saw one! idk maybe i just have no luck. haha

oh and i once dived in a lake in Maine and it just filled with amarican eel by the 1000's spawning man are they ugly! haha i didnt know we get them in WI!

foxfish maked a good point to me the big the better! haha

Last edited:
I have seen live alligator gar with the manitees several times on my visits to disneyworld in Florida. They have some big ones and are pretty impressive.

I have also seen several programs about angling for them on Sky satelite TV. Found a few links although there are some more than just these. maximum weight seems to be in the 200lbs. BIG fish and BIG teeth.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skx7tW3mx-k]YouTube - River Monsters: Caught! Alligator Gar[/ame]

Alligator Gar caught in Arizona. // Current

Dave.

Last edited:
It looks like the sate record for Long Nose Gar is 52" and 24.4 pounds. No alligator gar in these parts.

Jon

I've shot acouple in Greenbay with my bow.
Around 18-20". Hit a muskrat too. Didn't know what it was until I reeled it in.

Haven't gone out yet with my polespear.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT