• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Geneva Lake ice dive

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

WreckRunner

Aug 11, 2007
Hey gang....I know it's been less than 24 hours, but I drove by the shoreline at Geneva Lake on the way home, and it just looked spectacular.

Anyone up for cutting a few holes in that 130' spot and getting in some more line dives?

Or even that deep spot off the Linn street launch would be convenient.

I'm thinking Feb 21st / 22nd weekend, or Feb 28 / Mar 1 weekend.....The ice would still be thick enough then, right? Ted?

Count me in, me very interested. Me like decent people
Feb 21st good

I think I'm headed back out to Nagawicka next weekend- the inlaw's have the place rented out for the ice (scuba) diving classes and I know where some extra holes are cut. ;)

Jon

Count me in on 21 or 22 I must get in as much diving before my big trip to the Philippines did you guys see the Wolfgangs post on the Philippines today.

Hey Jon, I facebooked you about the possibility of a group dive. I dont know if you would be comfortable with that, or ... anything really. Just thought Id throw that out there because all of us here have been dying to dive, and dont really know where we can go. We are thinking door county, but it seems like the marinas might be froze solid right now. PM me if you are interested. We are mainly thinking a sunday dive, preferably with spearing.

Sorry I didn't see you post sooner because you guys could have tagged along with me this morning.

It wasn't the most dramatic dive, but at least I got wet. I didn't see any fish to spear so I don't know how much fun you guys would have had. I did find an old boat and the river was flowing pretty good so it would have been fun to ride the current down and walk back up.

I'm headed out to Winterfest with my family now so I don't know about diving any more this weekend.

The Lake Geneva thing sounds fun, but my wife has something planned and I need to watch the kids.

You guys are welcome to join us on future dives if your up for the drive down here. You really should have made it last weekend- it was a blast!

Jon

ARrrg. It looks like we will either not be diving... AGAIN.... or we will have to risk a run to Sheyboygan to see if the plant is on, and if we can get in. Oh well. Cant wait to go someplace over spring break hopefully.

Are people still diving on the 22nd Sunday)?

I can't dive Saturday, and the weather is going to be a bit cooler than last weekend, but I'd like to dive Sunday. I was just going to dive around here, but might be up for a road trip if others are up for a dive.

Jon

I am up for sunday is there any open spots or is lake still completely froze. I can call Khel and find out. Would be great to dive finally got my new Mono and New long fins.

Just got off the phone with Khel who works near Williams Bay he states the lake is still frozen up completely.

let's do it........the deep part off Linn st. boat launch.....Sunday.
how abut 10am? I have lines, weights, plates and a large propane heater. We need a saw.

Besides a saw we also need some kind of shelter. Temps will be quite a bit colder than the last ice dive and shelter to change, and warm up in, are pretty much a necessity when ice diving in wetsuits.

I'm going to check out the River and Lake Monona later on today. It may not go to 100', but with no ice to cut we could easily set up a couple of floats and lines without any trouble at all.

Jon

I just got back from checking out the river and lake. I found a place to park about 100' from openwater with an instant drop off to 40' with a large openwater area and the, small, chance of spearing a fish. Oh, and the river is flowing as well . The visibility looks to be really good as well. So, unless something changes, this is where I plan on diving this Sunday.

Jon

Jon can you give a time and a street address it would be great to get a dive in. I do still like the Lake Geniva dive however my chainsaw is a plug in model any one have a stihl 64 with a 6 ft bar. Weather looks ok on Sunday would like to do depths and find water bongs or sunken squirels.

Rob,

If you type in 1602 Yahara place, Madison, WI it will take you right to the best place to park and the entrance to the water.

I was thinking about spending more time in the lake, since it's opening up so much, rather than the river. From this spot would could hit both.

Make sure you bring that new little camera so you can give it a go.

Jon

Jon sounds good 10 or 1030 ok not sure about the camera I need to make some kind of lanyard so I dont lose it also buttons are small to operate with mittons. Looking forward to testing the new Captain Nemo Mono and long Fins my 7mm top keeps warm my feet are what get to cold looking forward to the dive.

well, dang........looks like I need to acquire some new equipment.

Can't make the drive to Madison this week. You guys have fun.....hope I can join you soon.

I just got done XC-skiing with my dog (Zeagle) out on Lake Monona. There may be a big snowstorm going on, but the shoreline sheltered us from the wind and it was a blast. The snow is supposed to end by later on tonight.

We skied down to the Yahara River and too check it out. It's still wide open for quite a ways and it looks pretty clear- just like last weekend. There's always the river to dive as well, but this will offer a bit more depth- and maybe even some fish.

I plan on being down there around 10 am. I know that Cigarlung is going to join me and others are welcome if they want to make the drive.

Jon

Attachments

• openwater.jpg
    openwater.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 164
  • openwater1.jpg
    openwater1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 162
  • frozen lake.jpg
    frozen lake.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 176
  • zeagle1.jpg
    zeagle1.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 179
  • zeagle2.jpg
    zeagle2.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 170
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT