• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Getting in from a boat

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Helen F H

Feb 3, 2006
I am about to go freediving in my favourite scuba spot - i will grab a lift to it from my usual skipper (it is not accessible by shore).

The boat is a typical UK harboat, with a small drop into the water from the gunwhale and a "fins off" ladder.

In scuba kit we usually sit facing into the boat and roll in backwards, however this time i have my shiney new suit which i dont want to accidentally put a hole in!

Is it best to take a mat to sit on to protect the suit? Or possibly step into the water (those long fins worry me too!). All the freediving i have done so far has been from the shore.

Im a bit embarassed to ask my buddy for this outing :eek: and wondered what you guys do?

I have never had a (suit or other) problem falling in backwards as you describe. But I don't know how much freeboard the boat has. Falling a foot or two off my small boat isn't a big deal. However, If I were in my 29' sail boat I would strongly consider something else, probably walking down the ladder with my fins on my arm and putting my fins on in the water. I'd reverse the process coming out. One of the best features of some dive boats is a platform you can stand on near water level and jump in. Remember to put one hand on your regulator and face mask and hook the other into the BC belt to hold the tank down so it doesn't hit you in the head upon entry. Once in the water look up and if anyone is watching give them the OK sign by touching the top of you head and they will think you are an old pro. Good luck. Experience and watching others will give you the best answer.

Thanks. I have scuba dived from this boat hundreds of times (usually in twin 12's!), but never freedived from it. She has no platform etc.

As i said, new suit and very worried about putting a hole in it! I have never seen anyone else freediving from a boat, only from the shore as i am *very* new to the freediving aspect. Getting out is no problem, as it will be the same as if i was scuba diving. Its only the getting in which worries me!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT