• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

GIMAN SUB Labrax

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Murat

Promethian
Jun 21, 2002
For those interested with this kind of guns, giman sub launched new series of gunscalled "labrax" which is much better priced than "dentex" series ;)

Reactions: shaneshac
you get what you pay for mate ;)

at the end spearfishing a pleasure

Youve got to admit, thats a beautifully made gun. And you think its expensive? Stuff me with that Rosewood handle!! For the work in that its the biggest bargain in spearing. Glad I looked in today. Nice one Murat, have you got one of these?

Reactions: Alison
unfortunatelly no mate, i don't have one...Probably its a bit problematic to import one here. But i have something smilar to it;)
I agreed that the price is not much for these beauties...but i have to get some more important stuff first, i already spent a fortune for dive gear this year and last year:duh

Has anyone used wooden guns like these ?

By that I mean a lightweight quick=to-use / track wooden gun ?

Does anyone own the Totemsub Guizzo or this Giman Labrax ?

I have a Totemsub Pelagos 100 and was wondering what differences I would get / feel with using such a gun.

Mainly (pretty much exclusively) shooting bass.

Cheers
Ed

you will not find anyone here thats using those guns, if you can write italian then go to apnea magizne forums...

But, from what i see from the pictures..Gimansub dentex has wider wings than pelagos. Thats makes it more stable while shooting and tracking in horizontal plane, more power transfered to the shaft because of the less recoil. The negative side, it may be little less mobile than pelagos. Another advantantage of dentex is it integrate the power bands to the body of the gun better than pelagos. Thats makes better power transform and accuracy, hovewer i belive change will not be very visible. Pelagos has better line release (i think), gimansub's one may caought the line alittle while spear travels. Gimansub has esthetical benefits, hence the cost is higher.

For guizzo vs Labrax, with little size of the gun and band/shaft config they should perform almost same. Practically Labrax is just smaller version of dentex on the other hand, guizzo has wider wings makes it more easier to track on the horizontal plane but not much necesarry in my opinion since the shaft/band config is "weaker" there will not be too much excess recoil...I see the videos of the TOTEMSUB and observed that pelagos has little kick/recoil during the shoot but probably Gimansub Dentex will have significantly lower recoil... Just check the photo below to see the shape of the dentex body...

By the way why you just don't use pelagos for BASS?

Last edited:
just noticed that i made false statement. Pelagos model push the shaft more parallel than the giman dentex. Thats make better efficiency of powervise against gimansub dentex...

Murat - I do use the Pelagos for bass - but I have started to develop an unhealthy relationship with wooden guns.... More gear, more gear more gear !

Probably stick wih it but sometimes it is nicer to have different guns for different conditions.

You are right - I dont need it but would like it .

Maybe I'll just have a go at making a wooden gun - once I have worked out the wood and where to source ahfts and trigger mechs.

Cheers
Ed

you are quite right Ed, those things are addictive. I have wood 110 and want to buy few more from different makers;) But it has to wait a little bit.

Anyone in the UK ever ordered a Giman Labrax 80?
Wondering what the postage cost is...

Thanks

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT