• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

ginnie springs, FL

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

The111

Shallow Water Whiteout
May 29, 2004
Oops... I posted this in the SCUBA travel forum by accident yesterday. Here it is in the right forum.

---

Anyone know how freediver friendly Ginnie Springs is these days? I went there years ago and had no problems, but things may be different now (I also did not dive deep or carry a light back then). From their website it looks like I might not be able to carry my light or do too much "exploring" the caverns without scaring the bubble blowers. I haven't been diving in months anyway so it's probably just as well.

On the same topic... myself and a few friends will be there March 4-6 with the Lockheed Martin Dive Club. Most of the other guys in the club will be doing SCUBA, but I'll be freediving and some of my friends will be snorkeling. If anyone wants to dive with me there that weekend, consider this an open invitation. :)

I've never had any problems. Although I did freak out a cave diver couple years back. He saw me, nodded, then eyes eyes went real wide as he realized I didn't have a tank. He started offering me his longhose and gesturing to the way back out. I turned around shortly thereafter and we had a bit of a laugh on the surface.

That being said I've never carried a light there before, you might get harrased for entering the cave's with a light without cave certification.

btw I might be up in your neck of the woods March 10 - 13. Any interest in going to hit bluesprings, or some other spot near orlando, on that sunday?

(Copied post from previous location)

As I said above, I haven't been diving in forever, mainly because I rarely have time. But I might be able to make Blue Springs on that Sunday. I can't say for sure though... I'm horrible at making commitments that far in advance and already have a few that month. PM me again closer to that date and I'll let you know then maybe. :)

I remember talking to you several months ago when you had just moved to FL and were looking forward to seeing Blue for the first time. I take it you've been by now... what did you think?

It was fun. When we were there it was still running very high from the hurricanes that had passed through. The outflow there seemed much stronger than at any of the Ginnie Springs pools so it was quite a kick to get down.

Yeh, that was the last time I was there, in September or so and the levels and flow were ridiculous. You really need a tour guide there to show you all the nooks and crannies. :)

There is a way to get down and avoid the flow almost entirely... if you're not afraid of tight spaces! :) Then you can "ride the flow" back up through the main channel.

Happy to have one, I'll pm you closer to the weekend!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT