• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Glaucos-freediving comic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

RPGgrenade

Feb 20, 2012
so yeah i'm a big japanese animation and comic fan, and i stumbled upon a comic about Freediving, and it's called Glaucos.
it's about a boy who's discovered to have the innate talent of diving and holding his breath underwater for nearly 5 minutes at a time, but he has close to no experience past like 20 meters, it turns out he was saved by dolphins when he was born in the ocean directly after his mother drowned. the premise is a former record holder of freediving recruits him, i thought you migth like it since it's what got me interested in freediving in the first place.

I just finished the latest "log", nr. 29, and I must say that I love this series! I'm also quite an anime buff, and this did not disappoint. Looking forward to the next logs. It's quite obvious that the maker is a true freediver, although some things are simplified or exaggarated, but hey it's a japanese comic. :)

Great tip! Thanks!

Very, very nice work, I like the intellect that speaks from this work, the great scenes with unusual and interesting posture's. I would like to have the series a bundle for my birthday.

A point of criticism would be the a little to abundant explanations. Now after Jaques Mayol and Pipin I hope Tanya Streeter and or Megan Grier is also featured in this series. I'll see tomorrow when I read some more, I'm now at V02 ch 015 p4.

Kudos to the makers!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

I do wish it were updated more, also some of the characters feel a little bland to me, i also wish there were more characters in general, i've read too many sports manga of the normal kind so i feel like it's missing something xD

Ive read it,and liked it very much! Not many Freediving themed comics around. Would like to read the rest of it though.

Have to agree, I was thoroughly disappointed when I finished the last uploaded instalment.

Also, by the looks of it the updates are pretty irregular :(

there would be more releases if the scanlators had another translator, but however not many people know how to read japanese properly and english at the same time.

Someone should interview the creators for DB!

It's so informative rich one could see it like a nice entry level freedive manual.

That's a very good suggestion. Perhaps it might speed up the next "logs" a bit too. :)

it'll be hard to interview a mangaka, they hardly stop working on their manga because they're on tight schedules and are japanese, also the manga is already completed but it just hasn't been uploaded. also it is extremely difficult to find the ones that aren't exceedingly popular. also there's only one creator, Tanaka Akio, possibly has a freediving instructor or proffesional for the more technical things.

In the last chapter, Glaucos and Petit go head-to-head in a private competition. Petit does 100m CWT and Glaucos beats him by diving to 101m. Then they both discover DB and realise there are a dozen other guys that have been diving deeper than them for a while and kill themselves.

In the last chapter, Glaucos and Petit go head-to-head in a private competition. Petit does 100m CWT and Glaucos beats him by diving to 101m. Then they both discover DB and realise there are a dozen other guys that have been diving deeper than them for a while and kill themselves.

Well I read the lower numbers as a writer offering himself some latitude for future writing.

And Simos please, why do freedivers always have to die by suicide? :rcard

I'm looking forward to the next chapters and I hope the characters get some more depth.

Ah if I'd only read your post before Simos I could've saved some time :D

No seriously, it's not bad. The story is a bit flat at times but overall it's not so far off the mark. Definitely not a waste of time.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it too (that's why I read the first 29 chapters) but I was kicking myself when I got to what looks like the big competition only to find out that it hasn't been made available yet... Aaaaaaaargh.....

Love the super spleen though ;-)

Well I feel the characters featured are a compilation of The big Blue and Ocean-men, so maybe adding some less cartoon-like characters would help me getting a bit more into the story. I think a Herbert Nitch would be nice, and a Sara Cambel, or a loic Le Ferme and a Sebastien Murat, and or a Sebastian Naslund, Umberto and his apprentice Truebridge? Tanya Streeter, Mehgan Grier, Sisters Majorca, Annabel Briseno, Natalia Molchanova, Eric Fattah, Carlos Coste (the 1st 100+ CWT!), Tom Sietas, Alexey, Stig, Pedersen, Mifsud.

Euhmm Enough characters to fill the bookshelves with exiting stories, characters and plots!

Yeah Simos, that's what I meant with flat. The key elements are always the same. Born under special conditions related to the field. Finds master. Some ancient legend comes into play, etc.

So on the one hand they try to be realistic on the other there is this fantasy element. The realistic part is not so bad (lots of real freediving stuff) but the fantasy story part lacks new ideas. I think doing a fully realistic story would have been better. Just looking at the well known freediving movies, I personally like The Greater Meaning of Water best. So as we all seem to know it best it's time to start our own DB comic :)

Well I feel the characters featured are a compilation of The big Blue and Ocean-men, so maybe adding some less cartoon-like characters would help me getting a bit more into the story. I think a Herbert Nitch would be nice, and a Sara Cambel, or a loic Le Ferme and a Sebastien Murat, and or a Sebastian Naslund, Umberto and his apprentice Truebridge? Tanya Streeter, Mehgan Grier, Sisters Majorca, Annabel Briseno, Natalia Molchanova, Eric Fattah, Carlos Coste (the 1st 100+ CWT!), Tom Sietas, Alexey, Stig, Pedersen, Mifsud.

Euhmm Enough characters to fill the bookshelves with exiting stories, characters and plots!
There's only one manga that has ever truly featured real life people. They almost got their asses sued off through the roof. But then they realized it made the real life people look good =/ It's called Mudazumo naki Kaikaku, a manga about the chinese gamble game Mahjong and it's players who are all current politicians, some presidents and ministers, but most importantly it features the pope fighting a super powered hitler ina fight to the death.

And Azrael.... don't jump to conclusions, it's not easy to make a story about anything fully realistic, i know because i make 3 slice of life comics. I don't know how many comics you've read in your life (at least 2000 both proffesional and amateur for me), but it's definitely not easy... I already have a comic about swimming... i wish i could incorporate freediving but it just feels so out of place within the current story if i were to try forcing it inside.
and also if you guys were to make a freediving comic, i swear to god, please don't make it a collaborative story with just one artist, that will lead to SO many problems because i've tried it before. Unless you have an artist ready with good ideas that aren't GIVEN to him by like 20 different people it might be a good idea to make a comic.

Reactions: Kars
RPGrenade, I'm definitely no comics expert. And my last remark was rather sarcastic. I know how hard it is to produce any creative work with a group of people involved. And in general criticizing something is easier than actually producing something superior. So well lets leave it at that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT