• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Glossary and techniques page?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

arbateman

Jul 16, 2002
I would love a glossary added to this site. I am trying to absorb the info on this site, and it involves a lot of form searching to decode the acronyms, and find descriptions of how some of the techniques are done.

Thanks

Alan

I second that, it's a great idea for us neewbs to pick up and understand the discussions without having to surf the whole web looking for explanations.

I agree too, but I don't think there should be a detailed FAQ.
We discussed this in the past, and thought that a big FAQ page would stop new fdivers from logging on, posting, and becoming part of the community. Usually someone comes around with an answer at some point. What do you think?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

A basic list of 'strange' words like Samba, packing or static might be useful for newbies to get a quick introduction. And a top three of safety rules.

Last edited:
information = safty

Making info a little harder to find is not a great way to insure that a neewbe discovers the joys of free diving before being scared off by the dangers. You can’t have someone skim over SWB or SWBO or BO and then head to the water. Raising the profile of the sport is better done with a positive message as soon as you enter the deeperblue page extolling the beauty, exhilaration and relative safety of freediving. Recruiting is not more important that easily accessible information.

Thanks
Alan

I think you didn't quite get what he meant. He means he thinks more people are likely to sign up to the forums and join in if they need to ask these questions first. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. Personally I think a FAQ page would be quite useful.

Matt

Interesting - certainly look into it guys. Anyone who wants to volunteer to help put it together should PM or Email me.

Thanks!

I received issue number 17 of Freediver magazine yesterday. There is an excellent '20 safety rules for freediving' article in there.
It covers a lot of things you can learn from the forums in a point-by-point overview.

Maybe if we ask politely the guys from www.freedivers.net allow for publication in some kind of document.

I saw that in FDUK as well.

I'll have a chat with Aaron and MT to see what they say.

Re: information = safty

Originally posted by arbateman
Recruiting is not more important that easily accessible information.

Thanks
Alan

Agreed. If someone doesn't want to participate online, then so be it.
I know that rec.scuba has a FAQ page, and anyone who has the nerve to ask a question that is posted on the FAQ page is usually raked over the coals for wasting "time" and bandwidth....
I don't advocate witholding info at all, which, to those who know me (online and in 3D), will attest to, but I do like to promote a non-elitist community where record holders, kids, old salty dogs, and newbies feel comfortable. Here you find 15 year old Vince, World record dudes like David Lee and Eric F, in-your-face Sven, and an old guy called Bill who isn't allowed to fly anymore, but knows more about diving than most of us and does 7 minute breath holds!
So, maybe a good glossary page, with your afore-mentioned intro into the beauty, and a plug about the knowledge that can come from conversation online?
Cheers my friend,
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT