• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gloves for UK

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pointandhope

Apr 28, 2014
Anybody know of any decent gloves, 3mm probably, that might stand up to crawling over around rocks. I have a pair of cressi x thermic in 3mm which have stippling on them and seem alright, but quickly became leaky, despite some liberal use of black witch.

I use windsurfing gloves.... huge choice, cheap & just the job....

I have tried out a few different pairs which wore out pretty quickly. I now use immersion elaskins, 2mm in summer and 5mm in winter. They are really grippy and not expensive either. Apnea.co.uk hope this helps.

Reactions: Brochman
I mainly wear gloves to give confidence when lobster hunting or grabbing a speared fish, my brother did exactly the opposite, as he thought gloves hindered him!
I can see the importance of wearing cloves in the winter but for summer diving I really like thin gloves with a good grip.

Like most things spearfishing, there is a very limited & often overpriced selection of spearfishing kit.

On the other hand go into a suitable shop & see the great selection of windsurfing gloves available!...... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...=X&ei=qS9GVZCHO8et7Ab2soFQ&sqi=2&ved=0CE0QsAQ

Reactions: little sarge
I like the fit of Beuchat gloves (size Large), I've had several pairs. They used to be thicker & warmer than the current 2mm stretch model (in combined size M/L), which are also good but only warm enough for Summer-use in my experience.

Last edited:
have a look at scubastore.com I find it the best/cheapest place for anything spearfishing related and they have a very large array of gloves, masks, guns, wetsuits, spare parts, fins etc etc. The only downside is that delivery takes about 5 days to here in the UK, but i think it is worth it

I use typhoon 5mm gloves in the winter, which are great and bodyboarding alder gloves in the summer. I will be using rubber coated DIY gloves this summer as I need as much grip as possible. I have a Ray Odor pole spear that I really want to get to grips with this year, pardon the pun :D that I matched to a single 18mm spear gun rubber, it has the power to launch the spear but takes some effort to hold.

I use 3mm apnea gloves all year round then i also put a pair of glass gloves or general gloves over them for the rocks.

Reactions: Mr. X
I use the 5mm beaver dry flex gloves for diving in the cooler waters where i live far up north (this is the 3mm version but the pictures shows the glove well)
https://www.spearfishingstore.co.uk/beaver-dry-flex-3mm-super-stretch-wetsuit-glove.html (or can be purchased else where online) as they fit my hands well and the 5mm feels like a 3mm glove as there is so much dexterity through out the hand and like Joelsevern i use a work glove to go over them and find that the Portwest A171 gloves (Green gloves in pic below) do a good job as they are very similar to the gloves i used for the fishing indusrty that would grip any wet slimey surface ,speargun,fish etc.
Portwest A171.jpg

I am also toying with the idea of using Flex seal liquid rubber as i have seen this used for making a grip surface on tools (just dip the handle in let it dry and repeat if necessary) so it should work well for the speargun handle and loading butt. If i cover the diving gloves with it i could have a glove that not only grips better but is insulated against the cold better and acts more like a dry glove if the liquid rubber stays on the neoprene gloves that is but i think its worth a go.
Flex seal.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the SA spearos wear gardening gloves. Probably warmer out there. I often have a quick look over the gardening gloves in our local village hardware store, they have quite an impressive selection these days, inc. close-fitting stretch waterproof gloves. However, I still use neoprene spearo gloves.

I like the shape & fit of Beuchat gloves best. I prefer the older, thicker versions over the new, colder, tight, 2mm super-stretch models. But I also have a pair of Mares gloves that match my camo wetsuit - I bought the largest size they produce (size M-L I think) but they are a bit too small/tight - and my hands are only a normal Large in size - and don't fit as well to my palm as the Beuchats.

I bought my son some Picasso socks and gloves - their sizes are well off (v. small for the stated size), which is frustrating for all concerned. Not a fan of Picasso gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brochman
Some of the SA spearos wear gardening gloves. Probably warmer out there. I often have a quick look over the gardening gloves in our local village hardware store, they have quite an impressive selection these days, inc. close-fitting stretch waterproof gloves. However, I still use neoprene spearo gloves.

I like the shape & fit of Beuchat gloves best. I prefer the older, thicker versions over the new, colder, tight, 2mm super-stretch models. But I also have a pair of Mares gloves that match my camo wetsuit - I bought the largest size they produce (size M-L I think) but they are a bit too small/tight - and my hands are only a normal Large in size - and don't fit as well to my palm as the Beuchats.

I bought my son some Picasso socks and gloves - their sizes are well off (v. small for the stated size), which is frustrating for all concerned. Not a fan of Picasso gear.
The Imersion Seriole socks are good and also cheap,closed cell inner with Nylon outer in either 5,7 or 9mm they keep my feet toasty and are true to size (not just me that is saying that but all the other reviews of this sock)
https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-di...AND+seriole+AND+socks&sort=score+desc&start=0
I have decided to buy a pair of the Mapa harpon 326 gloves and cut a section off them that i can then wrap around and glue to the speargun handle as i am fed up with little to no grip on the speargun handle and for some bizzare reason very few spearguns have a rubber grip handle.
http://www.mapa-pro.co.uk/our-gloves/protections/liquidproof-protection/p/g/harpon-326.html

Last edited:
I just received a pair of the Epsealon Labrax 5mm gloves which were on sale new on Flebay for £9.74 (posted from Latvia) that was with postage included and after trying several brands of gloves in the past they are without a doubt the best diving gloves i have owned as they are stitched ,double glued and have smooth skin wrist seals and a fantastic palm and finger grip.
I searched on other websites but could only find them at the spearfishing store uk in the 3mm Camo version which might well be a fine enough thickness of glove for those of you who dive in warmer waters than i do a https://www.spearfishingstore.co.uk/epsealon-labrax-3mm-camo-gloves.html.
And also on Ebay.com (for those of you reading this who live in America)
Epsealon are now making the Caranx glove in 5mm and 3mm versions which instead have a Pu picots coating on the palms for grip which i might buy in the future but i bought two pairs of the Labrax gloves which were probably end of there manufacturing line of the Labrax glove so the reason why they were so cheap and hopefully they will last me a while.
https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/epsealon-caranx-3-mm/136444998/p

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT