• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Go pro help: asking for my stepdad

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Genevieve Mahan

Jul 9, 2017
I personally have only been scuba diving once or twice, but me stepdad is an avid diver. I ask him to join this instead of me, but he's an old fashioned guy- doesn't yet know the benefits of forums. He and mom just got back from a scuba trip in Cozumel, Cenote caves. Reviewing their photos they took with a GoPro 5, they found that many of the pictures in the darker parts of the caves were blurry. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help that for their next cave dive trip? Thanks in advance

I'm no expert, but lighting is critical. The newest Go-Pro's will create GREAT video in bright sunny conditions, still pictures are also pretty good. But when the light level drops, then the camera compensates by longer exposures which can result in blurring and less resolution.

Also, the camera sets up an average exposure. If you have a very bright area in the center of the frame and much darker on the edges, those areas will appear too dark. It's been my experience that the human eye has better exposure latitude than the Go-Pro. We can see in the dark a l little better than the camera can. I think you can choose a centrally weighted exposure setting or one for the whole screen, but you would have to check the manual.

Adequate lighting is very important.

So basically if you want great pictures in dark places without a source of light you really need to change exposure times by increasing them... without no source of light I recommend in the 30 seconds area.
This also means that you can only achieve a clear image if you fix your camera in one place.
Avoid using spotlight type of lights when taking photos..use flood light and 1 second exposures...up to 1 second you should be able to stabilise the camera yourself...
make sure you make use of all the features that the camera has... some of them might not work together

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT