• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Going Deep on Air

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TRITON

THere Are NO limits!!!
Jun 12, 2002
HI!
In August I plan to dive to 80+m on air(I dove many times beyond 60m) with my friend with who I do this kind of diving.I was wondering if someone can suggest some good software with which I can simulate deep dives on air(with Bulhman algorytm,because I have Aladin pro computer) and doesn't cost hundreds of dolars to register?Also If somebody has some advice that would be useful .....i would appreciate it!!
Thanks!!!!

I stopped scubadiving 6 years ago, but I believe that you may be hard-pressed to get any advice from anyone about diving deep on air these days- especially that deep. Not just out of liability, but ethically as well.
Take care,
Erik Y.

TRITON said:
HI!
In August I plan to dive to 80+m on air(I dove many times beyond 60m) with my friend with who I do this kind of diving.I was wondering if someone can suggest some good software with which I can simulate deep dives on air(with Bulhman algorytm,because I have Aladin pro computer) and doesn't cost hundreds of dolars to register?Also If somebody has some advice that would be useful .....i would appreciate it!!
Thanks!!!!

i can recommend a good scuba doctor for when you surface ;)

Yes dude - try some trimix instead and stay safe. The fact that you dove down to 60m before is not an argument to pull it further down by 20m. At 60m you are just within the max limit of oxygen toxicity for air but deeper - apart from getting totally narked, at that depth you are well above the max oxygen toxicity level and can pass out without even noticing it - not to mention the deco time you will have to do if making it to the surface...

Really, this sounds rather as a stunt and not a dive...but good luck and let us know how narked you got!

serge

Suggestions, yes- go get trimix certified since it's safer and a lot more fun- as in you can remember everything you saw. You'll also learn other techniques along the way to help you deco out in half the time of your wrist computer.

Now, not that I would ever suggest or condone such deep air dives, I have to admit to doing more than a few of them in the past. ;) When I used to dive an Aldain I fouund that the "Canadian Navy Tables" could plan out my deco obligations to within a minute, or two, of the actual computer time. It's not the best deco program out there these days, but may match up with your computer better than any deco program out there. Expect deco times to be at least double of what the US Navy tables state- which I would NEVER use for actual deco dives. I know of a few old timers around these parts with new hips because of their love of the US Navy tables.:crutch

Now, if you still aren't going to do it the safe way, as in trimix, you might do yourself a favor and dump the computers and start using a decent deco program, I've always liked D-plan, so that you can "shape" your deco a bit better and have less post-dive fatigue and maybe even save yourself a couple of minutes- in the correct areas. It also gives you a back-up when your computer dies on you- and if it hasn't yet, then you haven't been diving long enough.

If your still insistant on doing this on air, you might as well check out an Extended Range Course to learn some other details to make it safer- but still not as safe as trimix. My friends who teach extended range charge exactly the same for that course as for their trimix course- to try and discourage it as much as possible.

Last thing, besides taking a trimix course, I hope your at least using doubles and iso-manifolds, and not bouncing it on a single tank, so that at least you have a hope if it hits the fan down there.

Jon

TRITON said:
HI!
Thanks!!!!

Deep air and trying to cut corners (cost) in the world of tech will get you killed.

there is some good advice for you in this thread, please listen to it.

Many years ago I went through a similar phase. This was the 90's when trimix was not readily available, at least not in the UK. I was diving on air regularly to 60m in the sea and 65-70m in caves (for some reason I felt deep cave diving on air was easier).

I decided to try to push my limits and see how deep I could go. At that time I believed I was "good" on air and that I could function as well at 60m as at 20m. Every weekend I was venturing just a little deeper in a quarry (deepest point in it is 104m) which had a vertical drop off that was perfect for diving.

One weekend I did my deepest yet. Everything felt good so I went to 74m. At least that is what I thought my computer said. After a few minutes the sound of my bubbles began echoing, or that's how it sounded to me. Then I got a ringing in my ears and a metallic taste in my mouth. I knew something was wrong and made the decision to get out but then my vision started to go, everything was getting dark. I knew I was passing out. It took all my effort to pull myself up (the quarry walls are covered in old steel cables) I got to about 35m when my head cleared and I managed to get my breathing under control. It was at this point that I read my computer and what depth I had actually been at -- 89.9m. I did my deco, got out and that is the last deep air dive I've ever done.

I now use trimix on pretty much all dives (I dive a rebreather these days so it costs nothing) regardless of depth.

No offence but the question regarding software kind of indicates that you don't have the knowledge to do this kind of diving. Pretty much every diver I know involved in 30m+ deco diving, whether tech or adv recreational divers, know what deco software is out there. There are loads of Buhlmann based programs available and an internet search will show them up.

Sorry to be critical but I am a firm believer that deep air is one of the worst forms of chest beating stupidity in diving. The widespread use of trimix has been one of the best moves in the diving industry.

As said above, get some mix training if you want to dive deep.

Reactions: island_sands
Attention seeker? zzz

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=31040"]A question about Aladin Pro Ultra[/ame]

TRITON said:
....If somebody has some advice that would be useful .....i would appreciate it!!
Thanks!!!!

First advice, leave this forum and go over to TheDecoStop.com, then read all the posts on deep air, decompression and gas mixs before you ask any questions.

Second, if you still have any questions about deep air after doing the above, take up golf.

John

octopus said:

hmmm, history repeating...a very similar thread some 3 years ago and a 100+ dive planned...no feedback if it was ever done though some people speculated that if there was no result after such a long time...not a good sign!:crutch Well, looks like alex is just fine yet trying again to go deep down...

probably it is still difficult to get hold of trimix certification and blending in Serbia&Montenegro but this is not an excuse for a stunt...i rest my case, looks like you will do it anyway

serge

The UK Navy divers all do scuba to 80m on air during training....or they used to!!!. No special kebab shop tables or the like. 5 mins bottom time but a good build up to the dive!!! expect to see aliens LOL!!!

They also use a good support system.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lizardland,I used Abyss-98 deco software until now but it doesn't work anymore on my PC ..that's why I asked if there is some other good software available not because of my ignorance.And when I said I did many dives beyond 60mt I actually dove to 74m.I see that many of you are criticising me but that's something that I like to do.And some comments like "attention seeker" i think deserve no comment.I think that the purpose of this forum is to enable people to widen there knowledge and not to have them called "attention seekers" or something like that each time they plan to do something dangerous.

Alex,

Dont take it as an offence, people voiced their concern for your safety, at least most of us. Nothing wrong with being at the edge, i guess we all test the limits if we practice freediving and/or deep diving. Yet, it is one thing to take chances, lots of them, going down to 100m without proper support, back-up and equipment (as in trimix vs air) and another to take calculated risks to push the existing limits but with a good chance of coming back.

From your previous thread i figure you are some 21-22 years old now, trust me, stick around for a while and you will see, there are better things in life than a new Balkan Record for diving on air in Ohrid or Skadar lake!!! I talk like an ol' fart though i am not really, just that i came by a few that took unnecesary risks and are not here to tell you they were wrong.

serge

Given that its a considerable risk no matter how good your preperation and the consequences of the risk not comming off in your favour means risk for others. The question I need to ask is why?
OK so navy divers do it but they have a shed load of past experience and know how as well as the resources. Why not take up freediving and do 80m on a breath hold, Alun did it and he only learnt to swim a couple of years ago. Now thats a class dive ;)

nothing is impossible but maybe bear in mind that Navy divers often have helicopters ready to scramble and possibly a chamber on board a boat or nearby.
Easier to push the limits if you had all that beside you if not ?

Commercial divers when they go past a certain depth are required to have chambers on site. The Navy divers probally have chambers on site too. I would guess that after their dive they go right into the chamber and do more deco.
Think about your mental state with air that deep. If you can have problems just breathing when you have been doing it your whole life. How about when a real problem happens. It won't be second nature, you may not be able to deal with the problem.
Why not do some shoter dives and take some easy math problems down with you and do them at the bottom then look at your answers at the surface. This may open your eyes.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT